General
3 reasons why translational research has seen little success

3 reasons why translational research has seen little success

Shared by:

The media has been constantly reporting breakthrough discoveries in medical research, so much so that it is no longer exhilarating to read about the "next cure for cancer" or "how to live forever". Nonetheless, rarely these discoveries can be translated into useful, practical and realistic medical treatments for real patients. Experts believe that the average success rate to “translate” laboratory findings into fruitful clinical trials is a miserable 8% (1).

today.mims.com

11 Oct 2016 - General

Whether it’s the inadequacy animal models or very strict clinical trial standards, the fact remains that research still has to overcome all these hurdles to truly prove that its findings can be of use. Also, I think translational research at today’s rate has come a long way compared to the previous decades. Though a lot can still be improved, I think there are various solutions being developed, such as computer models to mimic and predict how the human body will respond to various substances, wh...
 (Total 131 words)
When the whole medical research and breakthrough discoveries would become applicable to human lives then this world will have solutions for all medical problems. It is true that average success rate of to translate the laboratory and research findings into useful, practical and realistic clinical trials is just 8 %. Maximum clinical trials are carried out in animal models due to safety issues but it is also a fact that animal’s models lack the complexity necessary to mimic the “human disease con...
 (Total 110 words)
In a way I think its also protective for us that translational research is not as successful as scientists hope it would be. Why is it difficult to prove the efficacy or benefit of some of these inventions on human subjects --- because probably they are not beneficial in the first place. Having said that, in a sense, the long and tedious process of translational research can serve as a buffer for innovations that are not safe for utilization on humans. On the other hand, its also true that we ar...
 (Total 122 words)