General
10 ways doctors can prevent violence in the exam room

10 ways doctors can prevent violence in the exam room

Shared by:

For doctors, usually dealing with a violent situation is not something that happens on a daily basis; however when it does happen, it is important to be prepared on how to face the situation or better yet, know how to prevent it from happening.

today.mims.com

13 Oct 2016 - General

I guess these tips can be use by any profession. Even in your own house, violence can happen. There is no safe place as we claim it to be. It is always better to stay alert, calm and relax manner in dealing with patients or clients which has a possib...
 (Total 122 words)
There should be a safety net or a protocol in the system where healthcare workers are protected against abusive or violent patients. No one would expect to see a nasty of abusive patient when they are turning for work. The government should set laws ...
 (Total 116 words)
I have never encountered a violent patient or any violence in the clinic, but I heard that in the multispecialty clinic I work for, they've had to deal with such situations. One time we were set to receive a "famous" patient whose had a...
 (Total 147 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz It is contrary to clinical experience that a patient would want to harm a physician or allied professional who is trying to help. Nonetheless, clinicians inevitably encoun...
 (Total 121 words)
Must say the topic is very interesting and very relevant to our professions. As being from an asian country i have seen too many such situations and i have seen many more getting out of control , one reaching a point which lead to spinal trauma to my...
 (Total 217 words)
This situation is very rare in dentistry and I personally have never come across such situation in my professional career. It is very sad that doctors can too sometimes face such harsh situations. I believe that as a general protocol certain measures...
 (Total 142 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Dear Mahmoud, Thanks for posting nice article for defending on typical patients. Most of the times it will not happen in all cases. But rarely patients can hurt medical pr...
 (Total 69 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I think I have heard of a similar story wherein a physician performed a rectal or a genital examination, when its not really necessary! I'm just not sure if the p...
 (Total 135 words)
Marinelle Castro I do totally agree with you. This does not only apply to doctors but also with staff nurses, if they're with opposite sex, performing some revealing examinations should...
 (Total 207 words)
As a general rule, when doctors are examining patients of the opposite gender, they should always be accompanied by another doctor or nurse with the same gender as the patient. Although at times, the lack of manpower in the ER makes this difficult to...
 (Total 134 words)
Most of the times violence occurred in the the emergency department during my career in nursing. Many of my female doctor colleagues were violated, harassed and embarrassed while consulting violent patients. It is only natural that the doctor shouts ...
 (Total 111 words)
Violence in the medical field exists in all countries with varying degrees in each locality. Doctors and other health care workers are in fact considered one of the most disciplined professionals that are able to control their reactions in front of t...
 (Total 127 words)