General
Gastrointestinal, eye and skin disease incidences highest after flood

Gastrointestinal, eye and skin disease incidences highest after flood

Shared by:

The risk of contracting eye, gastrointestinal, and skin diseases is higher after a flood, with the increased risk persisting for up to 10 days after a flood, a new study finds.

specialty.mims.com

13 Oct 2016 - General

That is an usual thing. I heard that a cholera crisis has taken place in Haiti following the hurricane 'Matthew'. Usually acute gastro enteritis, cholera, dysentery are very common after flood. Because after a flood the water sources get contaminated and they become not up to the level to drink. So water born diseases become very common after a flood. People use water to have a wash. If the water source is polluted, the mucus of the eye would touch the water and increases the risk of hav...
 (Total 113 words)
I remember the rise in leptospirosis cases here in the Philippines reported in the news every time after major flooding has occurred. This adds to the plight of the flood victims. After having to worry about their possessions and how to recover after a flood, a lot of health concerns arise too. In many cases, it’s inevitable to come into contact with floodwaters, which may contain a lot of pathogens especially if the surroundings are unsanitary. I think one of the best ways to decrease such dise...
 (Total 125 words)
The findings of the epidemiologic study that was mentioned in the article are plausible. Exposure to contaminated water really increases the likelihood of contracting several forms of infection. If unfortunately flood waters get ingested (by kids who like playing in flood waters), then the chances of getting a gastrointestinal infection is high. In our country, a particular infection that increases in prevalence during the rainy season is leptospirosis. Unfortunately, there are plenty of areas w...
 (Total 119 words)