General
Breastfeeding: Mothers have more problems than public discrimination

Breastfeeding: Mothers have more problems than public discrimination

Shared by:

Besides the public discrimination that many young mothers have to face when they breastfeed, they have other concerns that may take toll on their emotional and mental health.

today.mims.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Marinelle Castro I think there is one milk bank in Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital that can help lactating mothers in need. It has been repeatedly stressed in medical school that the first encounter with a pregnant woman is also a chance to initiate on encouraging breastfeeding. I think many women get di...
 (Total 151 words)
There is indeed a growing campaign in the west to promote breastfeeding in public. I actually find it strange since it is a basic rights for any mother to breastfeed their babies wherever and whenever she finds necessary. These campaigns should be directed to tackle the real problems lactating women face usually and that may lead to cessation of breastfeeding their babies before the appropriate time of weaning. Besides the problems mentioned in the article, pain is number one reason that make th...
 (Total 150 words)
When I was a general surgery resident, I've seen several cases of mastitis and breast abscess in breastfeeding mothers. Indeed, breastfeeding is a big responsibility because mothers have to let down milk every 4-6 hours, otherwise, milk products will get stuck in the milk ducts giving rise to breast tenderness. Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I haven't heard of a breast bank in the country and I'm not re...
 (Total 145 words)
Breast milk contains the most important nutrients that the growing child requires in their first few months of live. I don't know about the situation in other countries, but in Sri Lanka mothers are advised to exclusively breastfeed babies until they are aged 6 months. After that complementary feeding starts in addition to breast milk but mothers generally continue to breastfeed even until the child is 2 3 years old. What is the situation in your countries? It is easy for us to advise mothe...
 (Total 108 words)
I know a number of mommy friends who have had trouble with breastfeeding. Issues like a low supply of breast milk are very real, along with the pain involved in nursing a newborn. Sore bleeding nipples, mastitis and other conditions are also among other problems. Reading this article, I was also surprised (and enlightened) about the fact that it is discouraged for mothers with low milk supply to ask milk from other breastfeeding mothers. Aside from the fact that the milk may have different compo...
 (Total 154 words)