General
WHO urges all countries to implement tax on sugary drinks

WHO urges all countries to implement tax on sugary drinks

Shared by:

The World Health Organisation has urged countries to impose a tax on sugary drinks in an effort to battle the growing obesity epidemic.

today.mims.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

In the recent time all the sugary drinks are graded by a scale giving seals with a particular colour which indicates the sugar amount the drink bears in a unit volume of it. That move was efficient because many of the people quit the high sugary drinks afraid of getting diabetes mellitus. Even me. Increasing tax may also be a good step of reducing the consumption of sugary drinks. But as we all know, in every budget in our countries the government increases the tax for the nicotine and alcohol. ...
 (Total 133 words)
I think it is an excellent move to promote healthy living and also to reduce on the amount of sugary drink used by the citizens. But it should not be categorized as a problem within the rich. Even those who are not well-off can also afford sugary drinks and still be diagnosed with obesity. Basically anyone can be obese. It is how you control your obesity so that is does not over rule you. Putting taxes might cut down on the usage of sugary drinks but it does not stop them from finding other mean...
 (Total 147 words)
Yes right, such a wonderful advocacy of the World Health Organization. This will sadden most of the people who is into softdrinks and sugary beverages. If this will also apply to iced teas wherein most of the people also consume, the demand will really decrease abruptly especially in the low socioeconomic status. This will improve the health and well being of the patients who are obese. However increasing the tax of the goods will not totally decrease obesity because if there's no willingnes...
 (Total 129 words)
This is a good advocacy by the World Health Organization and I hope a lot of countries (if not all) will consider their suggestion of putting additional tax on sugary drinks. The global concern on obesity is worsening. Epidemiologic studies show the rising incidence of obesity among children because at an early age, they are already consuming sodas and a lot of sugary drinks. This is worsened by the lack of physical activities since most children these days play with gadgets rather than play out...
 (Total 128 words)
Smoking is considered a huge risk factor for cardiovascular and respiratory tract disease, so the government put them under huge tax and legislations and constantly warn the public of its harm. but sugar. Well, eat all you no one cares!! There literally isn't any law, not that I know of that limits the consumption of sugar among the public. What is less known is that obesity is as big a risk factor as smoking to coronary artery disease and other associated co morbidities. What the WHO is sug...
 (Total 109 words)
I completely agree with this proposal by the WHO. Sugary drinks, especially sodas, have made their way into the lifestyle of many people, and some even cannot do without drinking a cup of soda in a day! Add to this the limited options for healthier drinks in popular fast food chains, and you really have an obesity-causing epidemic at hand. Even children today are freely allowed to drink sodas and sugary fruit juices, without the parents being aware that these can be very detrimental in the long ...
 (Total 142 words)