General
Do obese doctors seem less trustworthy in their patients’ eyes?

Do obese doctors seem less trustworthy in their patients’ eyes?

Shared by:

A doctor’s professional judgement and skills definitely should not be tied to his own personal life outside of work. However, being in the service industry, a good patient-doctor relationship is still extremely important, and this includes how a patient views their doctor.

today.mims.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

I guess it would depend on what specialty this doctor is practicing but as a doctor, myself, so I am not viewing this as a prejudiced patient, I think doctors should walk the talk. I mean, you know how most dermatologists have very good skin, because I think that's their calling card (their walking portfolio). I feel quite bad when I see a dentist with bad teeth (except perhaps for minor orthodontic issues), but you'd expect a dentist to have a healthy smile, right? An obese doctor will ...
 (Total 143 words)
I also think yes. People should not be judged on physical appearance. And the reason someone is fat can either be his / her decision to stay that way, or it is possible that person is trying their maximum to loose weight without much success. So just by seeing a doctor who is ocese should not be a reason to judge him / her as having an unhealthy lifestyle. But it really matters when you have to advise a patient to lose weight. If you yourself are obese, it might be a little unreasonable to expec...
 (Total 130 words)
We are judged by patients too. When they walk into the consultation room, they are doing as much initial assessment as we are doing. We should always practice what we preach. As almost all chronic conditions will have some lifestyle modification and regular exercise advise, patients will prefer that the advise come from someone who is doing the recommendation too. This not only applies to obesity but to the field of specialty too. I remember patients questioning why a prominent cardiologist had ...
 (Total 151 words)
Its true that physical looks should not matter, but in reality, reputation and image matters a lot in the healthcare industry. This does not only apply for doctors, but for other members of the healthcare team as well. Of course we are al humans and competency has nothing to do with one's weight, but we blame our patients for having second thoughts with consulting an obese doctor. People tend to think that obese doctors lack discipline - - and lack of discipline can have a repercussion of on...
 (Total 197 words)
Yes image pays a very big role on the medical field. Although obesity is common and varies in sizes, we should all do something about it to make yourself look and feel better before giving a professional advice on medicine to patients. I knew of one doctor who was very sloppy, quite a big a size guy, sloppy clothing with a shirt not tucked in properly all the time and always messing up his clothes with gravy or food since his breakfast. I would not want to work for that doctor - not only the pat...
 (Total 110 words)
It is very sensitive aspect in the doctor career when it comes to his/her appearance especially his physical fitness. First of all, I would like to point out important information. Obesity is a global epidemic nowadays with no exception to the health care workers. We must differentiate between workers in different specialties also. Not all specialties entail asking the patient to modify their exercise or dietary habits. In these specialties, I think that doctor’s overweight might be more forgive...
 (Total 161 words)