General
What constitutes pharmacy negligence?

What constitutes pharmacy negligence?

Shared by:

Pharmacists and their teams face increasing amounts of work every day, with mountains of prescriptions to screen and hundreds of patients to tend to. It is not surprising that one is bound to make mistakes during the course of their professional career. It is important to understand that to err is human, but it is equally important to understand which errors will constitute negligence and the ways to avoid them.

today.mims.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

Pharmacists do have a lot of responsibilities. Concerning off-label use of drugs, pharmacists should consult the doctor all the time. This is to confirm that the doctor did not make a mistake in prescribing a medication. The pharmacist is a patient's guard from taking in wrong medications and should not hesitate in clarifying this matter. It would be unfair to pin down counselling to the pharmacist only. Doctors prescribe the drug in front of the patient and should also provide a thorough ex...
 (Total 136 words)
Everyone working in the health care profession knows how critical an error can be, as everything we HCPs do can mean life or death for a patient. I used to always remind my students that a single error, be it in dispensing, compounding or in the clinical field, can cost a patient his or her life. This is why every medication compounded or dispensed must be checked at least three times. Even mistaking one medication for another or giving out the wrong dose can cost you your license. In Western co...
 (Total 141 words)
I feel that rather than pointing fingers and trying to blame people for negligence, it is better to try to improve the system in order to avoid the swiss cheese effect. Just as medical negligence for a doctor or a nurse, negligence in any aspect although is undesirable but the healthcare personel definitely does not have the intention to be negligent. Thus what we must do is to try to ensure that the system is in check to avoid such things from happening instead of condemning the individual. We ...
 (Total 142 words)
I hear a lot of these and it is really a serious thing because a wrongful prescription can really put the patient in danger. I think anything about patient care should be handled with utmost delicacy. All instructions should be clear, be it a procedural or monitoring order; or prescription for medicines. A doctor, in charge, should be responsible enough to give instructions clearly. At the same time, a pharmacist should be careful and if things are unclear, he should verify. When a life is lost ...
 (Total 104 words)
Madhubabu kaaja imagine an HCP who has been overworked for continuous 30 hours and i exhausted , isn't negligence possible in spite of the fact that the HCP is a highly skilled professional? It is indeed possible and all those healthcare workers who have been through such long working hours would agree with me. Training by the institution is what come into place where you are again and again reminded of major ...
 (Total 117 words)
Negligence in the healthcare sector is a punishable offense. So, doctors and other healthcare professionals are always taught about the serious effects of their actions during the schooling. Pharmacy negligence can have an impact on the patient and even affect the patient-doctor relationship. If the drugs dispensed are not effective or produce some adverse reactions, then it may have deleterious effects on the patient's health. I believe strict vigilance should be observed in this matter. In...
 (Total 136 words)
The article presented an interesting case about errors in dispensing due to illegible handwriting. I think one of the ways to solve this issue is just to computerize prescriptions. I know a lot of doctors who do this, not because their handwriting is bad, but to avoid any errors in interpretation. A bad handwriting is not a crime, but it can lead to a whole lot of problems. Its convenient to say that pharmacists should confirm this, but for an understaffed pharmacy, this will lengthen the proces...
 (Total 112 words)
I think it is normal to make mistakes but not due to negligence. I am very sure all of you medical staffs out there including me have had done a mistake or two in the course of your career. It is only human that we make mistakes. But failing to provide proper attention and information to details can be deadly in the front line of care. Providing medical help is a job that requires you to make precise decision at a short time and it has to be Accurate. For example the pharmacy that did not explai...
 (Total 121 words)