General
The things patients say and what they actually mean

The things patients say and what they actually mean

Shared by:

Patients have their own opinions and beliefs, and sometimes they let these opinions govern them more than actual medical advice. Here are some of the things patients say and what they could actually mean.

today.mims.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

From a patient point of view, sometimes patient has a difficulties describing what they're feeling at when they feeling sick. Especially when they're not just google it but they also has some input from other friends or relatives. It's a ...
 (Total 54 words)
many patients >want their doctors to concur with their own diagnosis
> No freedom given to the doctor to encroach on their family history,previous history of surgeries/medications/procedures.
Medical practic...
 (Total 34 words)
Marinelle Castro thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, doctors are really struggling on daily bases, patients at the end of the day are people with different characters and me...
 (Total 126 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh That's very bothersome if it is that frequent. In theory, doctors have the right to choose their patients. But if you are working under an organization, this can only ...
 (Total 58 words)
@Marinelle Castro, it can be extremely difficult. The incidence of demanding and unreasonable group is on the rise. In the past we usually only see one disrespectful patient per month, now it happens like one every other day. They would generally th...
 (Total 248 words)
This is the cause of the evolution of technology. Everything is handed to everyone so easily. Just open your smartphone and ask Google and you already have an answer. Too bad it is not as helpful as it is used to be. Some people tend to assume things...
 (Total 105 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz I agree that its a positive trait to look for information regarding a personal condition. However, little knowledge is dangerous, and everything online has to be interpre...
 (Total 191 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh I understand your sentiments. How do you deal with those kinds of patients (especially the disrespectful ones)? In our country, most patients are respectful of doctors but...
 (Total 117 words)
It is true that there are too many different types of patient on this planet and we as medical practitioners should learn and acquire the skills to deal with all these different types of people. The usual conventional nice patients who are obedient t...
 (Total 196 words)
Sometimes I don't mind extending a rest day prescription following surgery, but one time I had a patient who was already abusing the power of the medical certificate and I just had to put my foot down because some companies actually call to verif...
 (Total 87 words)
Well, you goo to read between the lines. Not every patient are genuine in terms of seeking medical advice. Some just wants attention and a little pampered. I have some across many that said they took it but it did not work for them, it could be true....
 (Total 164 words)
I am reading this article and I cannot resist the smile on face. Patients use sometimes hidden messages to give themselves a chance expressing themselves without feeling embarrassed. I can’t see the hidden message in “ I just want a day off” though. ...
 (Total 114 words)
Now this is where patients became doctors theirselves! haha. This is so unavoidable to some patients who are excessively cautious and feels like they knew everythig just based on reading articles from the world wide web. Haha. Some could get the poin...
 (Total 133 words)
Marinelle Castro Oh yes. There are a lot of people who need to take the day off because they are tired and they go see a doctor for a medical certificate. I remember one instance when a pat...
 (Total 140 words)
Marinelle Castro The common word which I am familiar with is "I took it, but it didn’t work!". Some patients are honest for the what they have taken but few of them will not comp...
 (Total 60 words)
I was amused at how accurate the author described what I thought of some patients. I agree that a lot of times, we encounter patients who have already "doctored" themselves, and will come for us expecting to be prescribed with medications t...
 (Total 179 words)