General

Sleeping Well in Hot Weather without AC!

Created by:

14 Oct 2016 - General

Hot weather has a major impact on our daily life especially if too hot and too humid. It can make it hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Remember, the ideal recommended sleep duration is 7-8 hours a day for a normal adult. Many patients complain about their poor sleep during hot nights especially in remote places that might have no constant access to electricity.

Fortunately, there are some simple tricks to overcome the heat even without the need to an air conditioner:

• Having a shower before bedtime: It will help you feel fresh and wash away any sweat or stickiness, helping you feel more comfortable and relaxed.
  • Preparing your bed properly: cotton sheets are ideal and there breathing effect can be augmented via storing them in a cool place or even in the fridge or the freezer!
  • Using smaller pillow: captures less heat from your head.
  • Eat smart: don’t eat just before your bedtime.
  • Drink water: it helps relaxing you to sleep.
  • Having good space: if you are sleeping with a partner, both of your bodies radiate heat. So, you can have some personal space occasionally if possible.
  • Create your own cold breeze: by using a wet towel in front of a fan or opened window.
  • Your last choice: apply cold packs on your pulse points like wrist and elbow.
Awesome tips Mahmoud AbdelAziz . The Egyptian technique is something worth trying especially during the summer season. In the Philippines, the weather can reach up to low 40s (in Celsius) during summer. Also, drinking not just water but ice cold water can do the trick. If one is not a fan of drinking water, eating fruits rich in water can be an alternative. Watermelon is a good example. As for eating smart, one m...
 (Total 121 words)
Thank you all for sharing your ideas on this topic. The Egyptian method is effective indeed. By wetting a sheet or bath towel that is large enough to cover you with cool or cold water, you can wring it or run it through the spin cycle on a washing machine until the sheet is quite damp but not dripping wet. Place the dry towel or sheet on your bed underneath your body and use the wet sheet as your blanket. The damp blanket will keep you cool. That is the Egyptian method. Another effective trick i...
 (Total 109 words)
Thanks for the tips. I usually take showers before i sleep after a long day at work just to freshen up. And it does actually helps me to sleep better. It gives me a cooling feeling especially in hot weather. As it is always hot and humid in Singapore, we tend to shower more often. I shower at least twice a day just to cool down. And having space to sleep is such a great feeling the moment you lay in bed to rest after work. Turning on the air conditioning and cuddle with your loved ones is pricel...
 (Total 99 words)
We don't have the luxury of having 7-8 hours to sleep in the first place, but the few hours that we get the our sleep is often disturbed by excessive heat. My home in not air conditioned so during the dry season some days I wake up in the middle of the night with all of me and the pillows and bed sheets soaked in sweat. Thanks for sharing the tips. I would like to add one more thing that I do when it is extremely cold at night. I wet the flow with a bucket or two of water and leave one windo...
 (Total 116 words)