General
Scientists have figured out how to help nerve fibres repair themselves

Scientists have figured out how to help nerve fibres repair themselves

Shared by:

Scientists have figured out how to make nerve fibres repair themselves in mice, having identified a gene that inhibits fibre regrowth when nerve connections become damaged.

www.sciencealert.com

14 Oct 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan Mayo researchers are investigating the effects of restoring cerebrovascular function, through transplantation of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell-derived vascular progenitor cells, on amyloid pathology and cognitive function in amyloid Alzheimer's disease model mice. The iPS cells converted from skin fibroblasts by transducing four transcription factors (Oct3/4, SOX2, Klf4, c-Myc) have the p...
 (Total 82 words)
This sort of gives explanation as to why pregabalin restores some of the functionality when used for radicular pain. I am curious though as to the extent of neurologic recovery for patients taking pregabalin. In my clinical experience, radiculopathies will often improved but not totally resolved after a year of Pregabalin intake so I think neuronal regeneration is slower than expected. For a peripheral nerve injury, neuronal growth rate is 1 inch per month. I hope that scientists can formulate a...
 (Total 121 words)
This is exciting . I hope this research complete all its phases with success because this opens limitless possibilities. Imagine what would happen when all the paralysed patients due to either cerebral infarction or spinal cord defects could walk again . Poliomyelitis , which is still prevalent in out part of the world , will not be able to cause the devastating limb paralyses. Pregabalin is an old drug and we do know alot about it , therefore it would be great if out conditions could also be tr...
 (Total 91 words)
Madhubabu kaaja I think yes but I am not 100% certain. Disorders like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's occur as a result of neuronal death, and the reason why these disorders are irreversible is because there is not significant regeneration of these cells once they are degraded. If this method can induce neuronal regeneration and achieve satisfactory levels of regenerative capability of the neurons i the affect...
 (Total 118 words)
It sounds good that paralysis can be treated with the help of ‘Cacna2d2 gene’. Although this research is initially carried out in mice and there are numerous limitations those restraints the application of this study on human beings but it is good effort to find new ways to treat paralysis. It is found that the Cacna2d2 gene is playing an essential role in the formation of synapses and bridging the gaps between nerve cells. It functions through the release of neurotransmitter to the synapse to j...
 (Total 123 words)
Damage to neuron cells in the central nervous system are mostly irreversible. There is minimal to none spontaneous regeneration, repair or healing that happens when neuronal cells are damaged. This is in contrast to peripheral nerves where axonal regeneration is known to occur to a certain extent. Due to this limited capacity to regenerate, brain and spinal cord injuries are almost always irreversible. We have miraculous treatments to diseases that were initially thought incurable, so there has...
 (Total 104 words)