General
Woman Puts E-Cig Liquid in Her Eye After Mistaking It for Eyedrops

Woman Puts E-Cig Liquid in Her Eye After Mistaking It for Eyedrops

Shared by:

A woman in Scotland administered e-cig liquid to her eye instead of eyedrops, according to a brief report of her case. She did not have long-term damage.

www.livescience.com

15 Oct 2016 - General

Awww. A lesson learned in a hard way Dc. Marinelle. I guess that woman will now seperate the things she takes or use in her body for her safety. Dc. Theekshana Abayawickrama for your question, since i was a in medical field i was used to check my medications many times prior taking it. I do not rely on the photos or similarities of a certain product. Since we are trained to always double check the medications pri...
 (Total 83 words)
This is such a sad case. That's why we need to be particular in arranging our medication pills, or solutions separately than those who are not. Aside from the bottles looks like the same in shape, it could be that the woman haven't seen and read the label before instilling it to her eyes. Good thing that it doesn't caused too much injury into her eyes, but not really a good thing at all because there was still a damage caused. It could also be better to assist the elderly upon taking...
 (Total 130 words)
The bottles really look very different based on appearance. However, the patient was already in her mid-50s. I am thinking that she may have some error of refraction already as Marinelle Castro has pointed out. That should have been investigated too as it would be uncommon to commit this mistake with good eyesight. This happens to most of us. We accidentally shift into auto-pilot when we are thinking about a lot ...
 (Total 138 words)
I have seen these types of mistakes quite commonly. When there is something that is very familiar to us, what we use everyday I think our eyes and brain gets used to it and leaves out fine details like what is in the label. When there is something similar to that at the same place, the brain tricks us into believing that it is the same thing. Don't you guys have any experience similar to that? Like you took a random bottle and tried to drink from it thinking it's your water bottle. Or mi...
 (Total 101 words)
Last year, a woman also mistakenly glued her eye shut with super glue, but her doctor was later able to pry it open. Something blew into her eye and when she asked for someone else to get eye drops out of her purse and they brought Super Glue. The doctor had to apply anaesthetic to her eyelids. Luckily, that lady got her sight intact after the incident. I think no products should have the shape of eye drops. Elderly and children can very easy be mistaken with these containers. Mistaking eye drop...
 (Total 125 words)
First time I've heard of someone who used e-cig fluid as eyedrops! The articles failed to mention about the patient's baseline visual acuity. I don't know about you guys, but don't you think that the bottles look very different and the word eye drops in front of the bottle is quite obvious? She really should be more careful about reading labels. Its fortunate that the contents of the e-cig fluid were acidic because if it were basic, that would have caused a permanent damage to he...
 (Total 118 words)