General
KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital warns of rise in child submersion deaths

KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital warns of rise in child submersion deaths

Shared by:

More and more children are drowning in Singapore, warns the leading local paediatric institution, the KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital. State Coroner Marvin Bay, commented that drowning has become a ‘silent killer’ among children here.

today.mims.com

16 Oct 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Despite the fact that most Malaysian parents are usually overprotective towards their preschool kids, statistics reveal that between 2009 and 2013, close to 600 drowning incidents were reported in a year. Such a high number required raising the awareness of the citizens and establishing new regulations towards this matter. I rarely hear about drowned children since I came here though. Earlier thi...
 (Total 122 words)
It is really alarming. Children are always curious and like to go for an adventure. It is hard to stop them from going to water specially if there is a nice watersource nearby. I think the best way to save them is to teach swimming as early as possible. In my country, Bangladesh, the death rate due to drowning has been increased for last few years. Bangladesh is a land of river and it was unusual that a person would grow up without learning swimming. But in last two decades, the number of pon...
 (Total 187 words)
This is indeed a devastating news and I cannot even begin to imagine how the father must feel the moment he lost his son. This will probably a lifetime regret on his end, especially since the nature of his work involves protecting people from drowning. Is this also a common problem in Malaysia Mahmoud AbdelAziz ? In the Philippines, there are very few cases of deaths from drowning and if ever they are, they are ...
 (Total 110 words)
I feel so sad about the three years old kid. The fact that he was accompanied with his father, who is a life guard and swimming coach, makes it even more devastating. A child under 6 years old should never be left without supervision especially if in a big gathering or in a new place. I think if the three years old kid had worn the life jacket or any other floating assets, he wouldn’t have faced this accident. Sadly, these cases are so common and it takes few seconds to occur whether in a public...
 (Total 120 words)
This is such a sad article. Seeing your own kid drowned to death. No matter how expert you are, no matter how many lives you saved, if you're own kid was in danger or their lives is at risk, this will surely make you panic. And for this case, a father loses his son due to drowning. Such a big heartbreak. Right there and then. This only means that every child should not be left unattended. Anytime and anywhere something harm can or may happen. They need a supervision from adults. Even in o...
 (Total 140 words)