General
Pharmacists: How much do you know about alcohol?

Pharmacists: How much do you know about alcohol?

Shared by:

Pharmacists have an obligation to recognise the significant effects that alcohol can exert in patients, and the potential to adversely impact drug treatment. Here is some important information regarding alcohol that all pharmacists should be aware of.

today.mims.com

17 Oct 2016 - General

Someone drinks for joy. Someone drinks for the sorrow. Someone drinks for the win. Someone drinks for the defeat. Anyhow alcohol affects all the aspects of the life. Economically, physically, socially and mentally, alcohol affects lives. Once we take alcohol, it gets metabolized by the liver and the kidneys. In chronic alcohol consumers, liver gets exhausted of metabolizing alcohol and initially develops fatty liver disease which can later develop into liver cirrhosis and one of it's serious...
 (Total 107 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto That is sad to hear. It is a good thing that there was early recognition on your sister's part that prevented further medical complications. People often think that hard liquor is safer than beer but the contrary can be said. Everyone must be aware that it is the volume of liquor that you take in that is harmful. Also, one must be responsible to pace in order to hold his/her liquor. Drin...
 (Total 107 words)
Speaking of alcohol intoxication, a few weeks ago my sister had to care for a girl who suffered alcohol poisoning during a team building event she organized. They were done with the proper event and for the night, they had drinking and food. They had games and one of the younger ones organized a drinking game that had such awful rules and so after awhile she started to look pale and was in pain--that's when my sister decided something was seriously wrong. They called the in-house nurse in th...
 (Total 102 words)
Madhubabu kaaja I agree with the must-knows that you have mentioned when assessing alcohol abuse. #1 is an eye-opener. Soda is supposedly the main culprit for increase in body fat when it comes to "drinking the calories". Alcohol is the main reason and people do not realize it yet. Alcohol may make one lose weight in the state of dehydration. I think it is prudent to measure body fat percentage instead o...
 (Total 129 words)
Heena Pohani Thank you for sharing tips on how to combat alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I tried to look up milk thistle because it is the first time I have heard of the drug. Turns out it is also known as silymarin. Silymarin is very popular here in the Philippines for liver protection and marketed in the form of capsules. However, it is still considered as a supplement and its health benefits are still in question...
 (Total 141 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing your opinion on the topic. I agree with your statement that alcohol potentiates the effect of some medications and vice versa. Pregabalin, a first-line treatment for radiculopathy, is known to potentiate the effect of alcohol by sevenfold. Prescribing this medication to an alcoholic can induce stuporous coma. We must also be weary in giving anesthetics to those with alcohol...
 (Total 99 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I want to add some new things.
1. Most countries get more calories from alcohol than soft drinks.
2. One should also known about Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
3. Drinking alcohol actually makes loss weight reported by Archivals of Internal medicine in medicalsaily.com
4. Hangover free Synthetic alcohol developed in UK
5. Nalmrfene new drug for alcohol abusive.
6. New comp...
 (Total 86 words)
Alcohol binge drinking followed by alcohol withdrawal can result in serious devastating outcomes. Also, alcohol intoxication and related liver disease may be even life threatening. This article mentions some home remedies for the relief of the symptoms of this disease. I would like to add few more. Healthy diet and exercise also play an important role in home remedies for alcohol withdrawal. Most of the people have a headache or nausea and suffer from the poor diet the day after they drink exces...
 (Total 135 words)
Alcohol often has harmful interactions with prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, and even some herbal remedies. In some cases, alcohol interactions may decrease the effectiveness of medications or turn them useless. In other cases, alcohol interactions may make drugs harmful or even toxic to the body. Even in small amounts, alcohol also may intensify medication side effects such as sleepiness, drowsiness, and light-headedness, which may interfere with your concentration and ability ...
 (Total 122 words)
I have witnessed delirium tremens (DT) when I was in clerkship and it was an unforgettable experience. While experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms, the 6'2" 240 lb man smashed the window of a ward and tried to escape by jumping from the second floor. It took 4 burly male healthcare staff to restrict the patient. He was eventually brought to the psychiatric ward temporarily for a more controlled environment. Alcoholic disorder is a serious condition that warrants thorough evaluation. ...
 (Total 120 words)