General
Healthcare professionals: 3 ways you can relieve eye strain at work

Healthcare professionals: 3 ways you can relieve eye strain at work

Shared by:

Healthcare professionals may find themselves needing to spend long hours looking at the computer screen each day. This prolonged interaction with the computer predisposes them to developing eye strain, also known as eye fatigue.

today.mims.com

17 Oct 2016 - General

I'm sure I am not taking good care of my eyes. As a dentist, I think we all eventually develop eye problems, if don't already have one before we get to school. I did, but looking into the mouth and working on small structures with almost limited light really strains our eyes. Then you have to add prolonged computer use, gadgets and reading. Thanks for this article, I will do the exercise discussed here when I feel it necessary. Also, we really have to rest our eyes from time to time. Put...
 (Total 101 words)
That moment when i am not still using any eyeglasses, i always have this eye strain where my eyes gets painful and it is a lilttle bit dry and an exhausted red eyes . I am glad that when i had my first eye check up, the opthalmologist advised me to take the lens with coating which protects me from eye strain which includes the usage of gadgets such as computers, phones, projectors etc. Since we can't prevent or avoid using computers in our workplace, what we can only do is to remind ourselve...
 (Total 151 words)
I have had dry eyes for quite a some time now and yes long working hours on the computers is the main culprit in my case . It sometimes gets so severe that i have to use lubricants to get some relief. It takes almost 2 to 3 days of not using the computer to get some relief. 20 rule seems to be very logical and will definitely try them . Hopefully it helps me end those dry eye period. One more reason can also be long use of mobile phone whenever you are not on work. This really makes us miss the...
 (Total 110 words)
I am actually glad that I am wearing glasses as it makes me more concerned about my eyes. I heard about the 20-20-20 rule from my optometrist but I haven't followed her advise yet. hehe Another one to add is to use eye drops. Lubricating our eyes every morning and evening is a good way to help with eye strain as well. Though make sure to keep the bottle clean, check for expiration dates and not to share eye drops. I never was germophobic with my eyes until my ophthalmic tech friend started l...
 (Total 110 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz While preventive measures, such as taking breaks from activities that cause eye strain are suggested, there are certain treatments which a person suffering from the condition can take to ease the pain or discomfort that the affliction causes. Perhaps the most effective of these is to remove all light sources from a room, and allow the eyes to relax in darkness. Free of needing to focus, the eyes...
 (Total 153 words)
I think the most important tip is the first tip that was presented in the article. Its really important to relax ciliary muscles from time to time to avoid eye strain. However, this is difficult to do when you are operating, especially when you are using loupes of an operative microscope. In neurosurgery, my mentors have taught me to never take my eyes off the operative field - - so in every operation, the first option is not possible unless you are sure that it is already safe to look away alre...
 (Total 140 words)
In dentistry, the eye strain can be due to prolonged use of the microscope or not working in proper chair position and illumination. I have seen many young dentists not taking care of chair position during the diagnosis and even treatment. This may lead to neck pain, back pain and even eye problems. Proper illumination is an essential factor to take care of in dentistry. Especially during RCTs, while locating the minute canals, it is very important that the work area is sufficiently illuminated....
 (Total 146 words)
Really nice and essential discussion. We have to do a lot of reading and writing both on papers and computer screen. And it increase eye strain. The strain usually starts from student life and continues through professional life. Due to this strain many healthcare professionals loss their normal vision at early age and are compelled to use glasses. It is a blessing of Almighty that I am still free from using annoying opticals, but don't know how long it will persist. I see many of my frien...
 (Total 130 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thanking for providing ways to reduce strain on eyes which is useful not only for Healthcare professionals, but also for IT professionals. The rule which you told 20-20 is one of the good method in my view and using anti glare lenses could reduce the strain, common things like adjusting PC display settings and simple exercises for eyes. I request sa periodic health eye checkup for doctors also t...
 (Total 74 words)
Healthcare workers and especially doctors have to read tremendous amounts of papers throughout of their never ending study and work. Eye strain is a very common complaint to encounter. After long time reading either an electronic or real paper transcripts, the eyes start getting reddish, itchy, photosensitivity and other signs of irritation. These symptoms are usually more intense when reading for long time from a small font writings such as textbooks. I agree with the article that giving your e...
 (Total 133 words)