General
The night shift and its effects on the body clock

The night shift and its effects on the body clock

Shared by:

Necessarily, the first thing that suffers when anyone works the night shift is their usual sleep schedule and, by extension, their body clocks. Instead of being able to go to bed at night, those who work at night usually have to force sleep when the sun is still up.

today.mims.com

18 Oct 2016 - General

With today’s professions going global, plus the usual night shift professions like medicine and other hospital-based work, the topic of night shifts and its effects on the body clock have gained a huge research interest. It is surely a huge challenge to adapt to a routine opposite to what our body is wired to do, but as the latter part of the article says, adaptability to night shifts may also be affected by our “chronotype” or by how our circadian rhythms are wired. Depending on whether you are...
 (Total 199 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta I have been on-call for 24/7 for the past three years and believe me when I say that I know what sleep deprivation can do to the body. It makes people less productive because it affects cognitive performance. People tend to think at a slower pace, and some even have a hard time remembering things. On a personal note, since college I've had insomnia and I've gotten used to being a night...
 (Total 141 words)
The night shift is tough. My sister follows European time and now that she's a manager, she has bigger responsibilities. This means she leave the house for work at around 3pm and comes back between 3am to 7pm, depending on any crisis in the European market (she is an investment banker). Anyway, I've seen her health deteriorate ever since but she loves what she does and though she's tried to look for other work, a day shift work, she cannot leave it. I do not have experiences with nig...
 (Total 148 words)
Night shift is a regular duty for doctors. In my hospital, I have to do regular night duty . At least one or two per week. Some of these shift are on admission night and patients continue to come all over the night. There is no chance to take a rest from 9 pm to 8 am. At latenight, we really get tired, but nothing to do. Usually we get an off day after the night shift. But problem occurs when I have to attend 2-3 night shift subsequently. The body clock alters and it become difficult to sleep a...
 (Total 141 words)
NIght shifts really do affect the body clock. I am home today after a 30 hour shift. As soon as I got home in the evening, I had a 4 hour sleep. Now it is 12 am in the midnight and I am not sleepy. I have to get back to work at 7am tomorrow, so unless I get a good 6 hour sleep tonight, I become really down after lunch tomorrow that I need to have a nap again. And then again I won't be able to sleep at night. The cycle only breaks if I somehow stay till night without having a daytime sleep an...
 (Total 111 words)
I do rotational nights every week. but we get off days right after our night shift. and working day shift before the day we are doing night shifts. We are always motivated to work on night shifts for the extra income and we have done it with pride. What i see from this article is that many nurse do not get enough sleep due to their personal involvement and commitments. Many nurses are either married or have kids of their own and even working on shifts, they have to prioritise on their kids as we...
 (Total 119 words)
Ah the night shift trend. With the uprising of BPOs and their call centers we see a lot of night shift workers now. The main issue for these people is adjusting their body clock. I have had a few patients in the past who had difficulties adjusting their body clocks and hence get even more stressed due to the lack of restful sleep. I would tell them to trick their mind. Like when we ride an airplane the flight crew were turn off the lights and serve meals at "odd times". What they are m...
 (Total 133 words)
I can relate to those nurses who shared their experiences having an irregular duty schedule. And that is true that the approximate 4-6 hours were considered the longest sleep we could ever have. I, myself experience that too. And due to my irregular schedule it made my immune system weak and put me at risk to diseases. Most of the time a got a flu. So, everytime i got my 2 or 3 days off, i always make sure to have a good rest and sleep at the same ...
 (Total 117 words)