General
Single race vs multiracial patients and their health

Single race vs multiracial patients and their health

Shared by:

Although healthcare professionals do not label their patient on race alone to be able to give them appropriate health care, this information is still needed in understanding racial health disparities.

today.mims.com

19 Oct 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan: when I have time I will see if I can find that book with the "cryptococcosis" statement of that disease being related to being Filipino and I will randomly let you know. I do think it was that disease in particular because I was pretty mortified that they are associating a disease seen in immunodeficient individuals i.e. AIDS patirnts with Filipinos. Tuberculosis is another deal as I hon...
 (Total 120 words)
Jennifer Winter Yes, I agree with you. Looking at the race will give you an inkling on what disease you are dealing with. Associating a disease with the race should not be treated as gospel truth though because other etiologic agents, especially for respiratory tract infections, can come into play. Moreover, atypical symptoms also present and a good history and physical exam should supercede any bias due to race....
 (Total 116 words)
Mark Edmon Tan: When you mentioned cystic fibrosis there I remember how we would entertain Tuberculosis with people from developing countries as Sarcoidosis on the other side of the spectrum. Along with this I also remember from a review book that Cryptococcosis is associated with being Filipino. (???) I may have gotten the illness wrong as I read this book back when I took the medical boards but it was a disease...
 (Total 117 words)
The predisposition of a certain race for acquiring disease is an interesting topic for discussion, Mahmoud AbdelAziz. Epidemiology is a very important factor associated with every disease. This is the reason why evidence-based statistics are presented in the initial segment of medical textbook chapters. Demographics already provide a clue as to which disease would be prevalent in a certain area. Race is very cruc...
 (Total 154 words)
One aspect of quality healthcare service delivery is the provision of culturally-sensitive management. I have no problems with using the word "race", but the connotations for some people are unfavorable. I guess this is better termed as cultural background. Anyway i remember seeing this viral post about American Asians in the US being discriminated for how they look. I guess the most important thing to do is to just ask directly if the patient has any care preferences that are related ...
 (Total 122 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz: I have been asked as well many times on what my race is. I never really was overly bothered about this as I know I look different and it isn't something unusual to be asked this. It was only when I went to the US when it got uneasy. Here in the Philippines I would be asked what my mix was in a smily curious manner but over there I was asked, "what are you?" like I was some strange...
 (Total 153 words)
There are many valid points made here about this topic. Indeed we will get lost in the technicality of the terms but we all more or less can come to an agreement that there are differences among different "races". Like the author of the article has stated about multiracials or biracials and identifying to the race they grew up with is something I have had difficulties with myself. I am Caucasian and Asian. Externally I look Caucasian but identify with being Asian more. The role that pl...
 (Total 235 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Race is non scientific social discrimination for the identifications of the persons but being scientific person genetics between races is also different and genetic methods do not support the classification of humans into discrete races. Genetics has long struggled with the definition of race. In the first decades of the 20th century, race was defined by discrete types, the belief that one membe...
 (Total 118 words)
Madhubabu kaaja I am sorry to disagree again but RACE DOESNOT MEAN GENETICS also. As doctors and scientifically speaking, it is more accurate in genetics to use concepts like ancestry instead of race in human studies. It is important to distinguish ancestry from race. Ancestry is a statement about an individual’s relationship to other individuals in their genealogical history. Thus, it is a very personal understan...
 (Total 126 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing this interesting study. In the link you provided, the paper itself very clearly rejects the race as a biological concept and agrees that the current racial categories capture ethnic status. The published paper in 1997 argues that studying racial differences is important in the United States at that racial categories at that time reflected an important part of the inequalities...
 (Total 153 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Race effecting health is not the topic of now a days many researchers tried to evaluate the race and health issues of specific conditions from a long back. The other 1% makes the difference and making unique concept in genetic. For example race and health effects are studied by David et.al though ithe health is dependent on several factors RACE is one of the factor to consider. For more deatil...
 (Total 76 words)
Thank you for sharing your ideas Madhubabu kaaja Kathleen Peralta . I have to strongly disagree with you as there is a huge difference between race and nationality I believe so. According to the Human Genome Project, people are indeed well over 99% identical; at the molecular level race is imperceptible. As I mentioned before, acco...
 (Total 174 words)
I agree that race can be of medical significance, given that it can help in diagnosing a disease or managing an individuals heath as there are diseases that is only specific to race or maybe geographical location. However, I'm sorry but I think I disagree with " a quick look to the patient’s name and face would give enough information about their race if it has to be." I disagree because there are other nationals, may not be the majority, who doesn't look like what we thought t...
 (Total 153 words)
I personally feel a great unease when someone asks me about my race or when I have to write it down on the papers. Perhaps this feeling is primarily due to my complex multinational family background that I believe it doesn’t carry any significance at the moment any more or because I really don’t categorizing people. So I just write Caucasian. There are three main races; Caucasian, Asian and Black. Any other categorizations are highly liable to inaccuracies. At my country of origin, the racial qu...
 (Total 155 words)