General

Healthcare Professionals with Visible Tattoos, Thoughts?

Created by:

21 Oct 2016 - General

So I have a tattoo, I thought to begin with that. Just so you know, it is in a discreet place. Once upon a time I was going out with another dentist who started with a tattoo on his back, then he added one on his right and then left legs, then you know what they say about "Once you pop, you can't stop", cus it sure applied to him, soon he had on his chest, his shoulders and then he wanted to put one on his wrist and I started to really get mad because we were partners in our clinic practice and I thought in the jugdmental and conservative Filipino culture, a tattooed man isn't easy to trust. The argument went nowhere, and a few years after that, he grew the shoulder tattoo so that it extends the elbow. I remember back then, we would have returning patients who would call for an appointment and specifically say, "I want the lady dentist" and sometimes there would be a group of four and they all ask that I treat them all. 

The truth is that I do not mind him having tattoos. I told him he could have it all over his body but the thing with this stubborn guy is that he hates wearing the white coat too, because it's too restricting and "HOT" he says, despite the aircon. So his tattoos are visible with the polo shirt or scrub top he wears. I got tired of arguing about making appearances because it's just goes no where. Anyway he is not my problem now. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind being treated by a doctor with a tattoo, be represented by a lawyer with a tattoo or even be taught by a professor with a tattoo--but that's me, and my point was, we cannot control what people will think and some people will judge according to appearances so we have to be particular. But, what do you think about tattoos on doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals? Is it okay for you?

It shouldn't be a problem nowadays. I think that knowing how to express yourself through art does not, in any way, correlate with your capabilities as a professional. There would still be the few and old ones whom, professionalism would mean look...
 (Total 94 words)
Society is more open-minded nowadays, especially in countries where there are more millenials or younger populations. However, it still can’t be helped that there are some people who may see a tattoo as unprofessional, and may not fully trust a medic...
 (Total 154 words)
It really depends on the cultural background and how the society perceives people to have tattoos. In a conservative Asian society, tattoos may seem as a bad impression amongst the elderly population and this may lead to less trust in a patient-docto...
 (Total 84 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Hey thanks for the idea. Yes, I will have a tattoo on my deltoid area within next 3 years for sure. That was one of my targets. Anyhow if it is visible to the public,...
 (Total 122 words)
I think having tattoos in any area of the body will be up to respective personal preference and choice. Is it ok for healthcare professionals to have visible tattoos? I supposed there is no strict restriction to do that. From my experience, most of t...
 (Total 117 words)
I have colleagues who are doctors and nurses who have tattoos full sleeves but are still working in hospitals. There is no discrimination of tattoos these days. I do not think it is an issue if the person is very capable in the job they are doing. So...
 (Total 120 words)
I beg to differ to almost all. Per say , tattooing is not really that big an issue. After all its just a tattoo. Lol. But majority of the times this obsession about tattoo after tattoo does show some lacking in the personality of the person. It could...
 (Total 77 words)
Oh tattoos are lovely really, especially when they are tastefully done. I have a girl friend who has a full back tattoo she entitled "Alice in Wonderland" and it's the story of her life basically and it's the loveliest one I've ...
 (Total 106 words)
Just like you have read my mind. Since my childhood I was very interested about tattoos and I wished if I have a tattoo which is half covered by a short sleeve shirt and probably makes me sexier than I was. But once I entered to the medical field, I ...
 (Total 118 words)
"Don't judge a book by it's cover." That age old saying really fits this well. I do not have a tattoo but I have no issues with another doctor having tattoos. It is a form of expression and basically when I see someone with a tattoo...
 (Total 107 words)
I really do not mind if a healthcare professional has a tattoo as long as he/she knows when to be discreet about it. We have those white coats to cover them tattoos once we see patients. We should just keep it covered so that patient would not experi...
 (Total 116 words)
Haha this one's interesting Maria Cristina Inserto . I am really interested of having a tattoo soon, if I'll be working already abroad. In my personal point of view, seeing medical s...
 (Total 100 words)
Haha this one's interesting Maria Cristina Inserto . I am really interested of having a tattoo soon, if I'll be working already abroad. In my personal point of view, seeing medical s...
 (Total 100 words)
Tattooing is an ancient art, and in fact in the old times, having a distinct body tattoo is indicative of nobility. Maria Cristina Inserto In our setting, there's a tribe in the Cordill...
 (Total 150 words)
Hi Dc. Maria Cristina Inserto! To answer your question, just like you i don't mind being treated by a doctor or nurses with a tattoo, having conversation with a bank employee with a tatt...
 (Total 142 words)
Yes Danny Peraji society really loves to see things in black and white. Some people are able to look past stereotypes, but there are those who cannot look past it no matter what and that...
 (Total 67 words)
This is interesting. Maria Cristina Inserto , I agree with you basically I also don't mind being treated by a doctor with tattoo but in the other hand we also can't control the socie...
 (Total 173 words)