General
Female students forced to undergo invasive vaginal ultrasound practice in Florida

Female students forced to undergo invasive vaginal ultrasound practice in Florida

Shared by:

Training in every health profession requires students to practise on one another. But in a shocking case of sexual violation, students were coerced to undergo transvaginal ultrasounds on one another.

today.mims.com

21 Oct 2016 - General

I must say that I take this as a kind of ragging towards the students. It might be a benefit that screens the genital system of the students for free of charge. But it is not acceptable to be done in a developed country. That is sort of a harrassment I must say. And it is unethical performing trans vaginal ultra sound scans in those ladies who attend to study. In Sri Lanka we usually do not perform at least a per vaginal digital examination in a virgin woman. So that is peering in to the persona...
 (Total 107 words)
It is unacceptable that female students were forced to undergo invasive investigation procedure as part of the training process!!!! I have never thought that such practice is still exist!!! Transvaginal ultrasound scan is an invasive investigation procedure that is performed with certain strict clinical indications. Trainee or students should not be forced to practice such procedure to each other!!! It is of great courage that the 3 girls had exposed such unacceptable practice. A thorough invest...
 (Total 103 words)
What the, really unacceptable! How they even reprimand the students complaining not to submit theirselves into this invasive procedure. Such a nightmare for these students. You think that this is the first time the university has this kind of issue? It seems that the clinical instructors, technician in the ultrasound and other heads are just in line with one goal, to push this transvaginal utz to them. I was quite angry reading that someone had even disrespected one of them telling that they are...
 (Total 118 words)
Is that a should? I wonder how to perform an invasive ultra sound scan for a virgin student! When we were in our medical college we were taught that to never perform even a per vaginal examination in women who have the virginity and it will affect their personal lives. Since we live in eastern countries, their are some cultural facts about the virginity and it matters most of the time when a female gets married. We were advised to not to perform invasive ultra sound scans for virgin women and to...
 (Total 119 words)
I understand the need to practice but this is ridiculous! Sure in clerkship we practiced on one another on how to insert IVs but getting probed is a whole different issue. Though my comparison will seem far fetched, I just thought of having to perform elective appendectomies on each other in our surgical program. haha How morbid is that? I think being forced to perform transvaginal ultrasounds on each other for practice is wrong. Ok if you voluntarily do this fine (though I don't think I wou...
 (Total 98 words)
Wow i was not expecting this kind of treatment by educators! How can they exert influence and threaten students. I would have to agree with Mahmoud AbdelAziz Mark Edmon Tan that is is already a case of rape. I am not sure about what the term rape entails in the United States, but in the Philippines, any form of penetration again...
 (Total 132 words)
Absolutely unacceptable behavior by those in charge of the program. What was their intention in making female students be subjected to this exam? This is already rape. The act of probing counts as rape. The age of the students were not stated but still this is sexual coercion. I am typing this comment with utmost fury to the keyboard because this is really the opposite of what we practice in the field of medicine. We make people feel comfortable and safe. We drape and inspect areas segment by s...
 (Total 139 words)
Unbelievably horrible news!! This should never happen in a country that claims it protects human rights especially women rights. Nothing like this would ever happen in medical schools in my country and many others I believe. In my country, transvaginal ultrasound is absolutely contraindicated in virgins for instance and students are never forced to be role model. It really sounds like rape by a foreign object. Two of the three girls were forced to do it and the third refused. Although the lawsui...
 (Total 126 words)
I was surprised reading this kind of article! Like what the? I find this gross! I can't even imagine that this kind of stuff is actually happening. I find this inappropriate because the privacy of those students where ruined. This is surely a traumatic experience to them. I wonder what are the use of the latest technology now. Can't they simulate or atleast provide a dummy in order to let students learn with out exposing their own bodies? This is really unbelieva...
 (Total 142 words)