General
The NMAT: Tales from the takers

The NMAT: Tales from the takers

Shared by:

The National Medical Admission Test (NMAT) in the Philippines is the first real step toward becoming a doctor. How did aspiring medical students find the two-part exam that had to be completed in five-and-a-half hours?

today.mims.com

22 Oct 2016 - General

I didn’t like the NMAT also. I can only comment about my experience almost 3 decades ago. I do agree that the coverage wasn’t representative of what is needed to be a Medical Doctor. At that time, we didn’t take any Entrance Exams to any Medical School (not sure now). You were judged based on your NMAT Score & College Grades (Transcript of Records). So it’s like ALL the Medical Schools relied on NMAT to do it for them. So it does seem unfair that a future Medical Student would be...
 (Total 159 words)
Ariel Torres yes NMAT definitely was an obstacle and I did not particularly enjoy. It does make sense to have such an exam to pull out the weeds so to speak but it doesn't really measure a person well enough. They are coming up with national residency tests as well now. Good thing I was able to dodge that bullet. Again I understand how that is helpful for the very in demand programs but, as you can already te...
 (Total 87 words)
Ariel Torres yes NMAT definitely was an obstacle and I did not particularly enjoy. It does make sense to have such an exam to pull out the weeds so to speak but it doesn't really measure a person well enough. They are coming up with national residency tests as well now. Good thing I was able to dodge that bullet. Again I understand how that is helpful for the very in demand programs but, as you can already te...
 (Total 87 words)
I took the NMAT in 1989. At that time, there were a lot who wanted to take up Medicine. So the Passing Score was 75% and since it is Percentile Based, it means only the upper 25 Percentile (those who got 75%-99%) were allowed to enter Medical School. And only those of us who got 90% higher were able to enroll in Metro Manila. Imagine in our class, the first year Medical Students just in our school was 350. So you'd think that is already the "cream of th...
 (Total 159 words)
Mark Edmon Tan: I took it 10 years ago ;) We are not old at all. Yes I do remember there being quite a number of botany questions and the like. My batch mates who took up bio for their pre-med didn't have too many issues with the exam so seemingly it was more inclined to them. I do agree that interviews are more reliable plus looking at the academic record of the applicant (no need for super high scores of co...
 (Total 178 words)
Jennifer Winter I share the same sentiments. I really do not see the significance of the NMAT in filtering individuals who are deemed "ready" to take on the challenge of being a medical student. I do not know about the recent years test format so I am basing this on my NMAT experience. I took the NMAT 9 years ago (3rd year college - not yet that old :D) and I was really surprised with the biology sectio...
 (Total 164 words)
I remember how it was like to take the NMAT. I am not a fan of standardized testing and honestly I don't find the NMAT necessary, but its there so all those who want to pursue medicine will just have to deal with it. It was stressful to take the exam as I had to travel to the test site the night before which was 2 hours away from where I live. I woke up tired from the day before and from the hotel had to travel to test site 20 minutes or so away. The room I took the exam in had a faulty air ...
 (Total 196 words)