General
DOH launches anti-rabies awareness campaign ‘BiLiS Rabis’

DOH launches anti-rabies awareness campaign ‘BiLiS Rabis’

Shared by:

In view of the rising number of rabies cases around the country, the Philippine Department of Health (DOH) has launched its new anti-rabies campaign called “BiLiS Rabis,” which emphasizes the steps to take after being bitten by a rabid animal.

today.mims.com

22 Oct 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Yes, clerks still do rotate in San Lazaro Hospital as far as this year is concerned. I do not see the rotation being shelved anytime soon because this rotation provides invaluable experience not only with rabies but also other infectious diseases as well. During my time, there were mini-rotations that include tuberculosis, pediatrics, and other sub-services. We were also exposed to hospital round...
 (Total 118 words)
Indeed there are so many cases of dog bites in the Philippines. I can clearly remember that when I was a medical clerk, part of our rotation in San Lazaro Hospital (a government hospital that specialized in infectious diseases) is to attend to cases of animal bites. The consults are too numerous that a medical clerk will be able to memorize the treatment guidelines of post-exposure prophylaxis in just one day! Even the computation of tetanus prophylaxis and immunoglobulin treatment will be memor...
 (Total 112 words)
Animal bites is common in the Philippines because there are a lot of stray dogs in the country. It is a good thing that Dr. Ubial, the health secretary, is starting to focus on responsible pet ownership too. It is the duty of the owner to make sure his/her pet gets vaccinated. Also, dogs must not wander in the streets without the pet owner because this happens in some areas of the metropolis. As for the catchy acronym BiLiS, I think more people will be able to follow the crucial steps prior to s...
 (Total 130 words)
A good and important step by DOH against this deadly yet preventable disease. And such efforts are needed in other part of the world , even in my country Pakistan, where dog bite and other animal bite are common and i get to see such case in the emergency very regularly. But one solution to this problem can be to reduce the price of the important life saving Immunoglobulins as mentioned by Priscilla Mae Gobuyan ....
 (Total 129 words)
According to the World Health Organization, rabies is an infectious viral infection always almost fatal after following the clinical symptoms. Most people just disregard minor scratches or pet bites only to find out in the long run, they have become a victim of rabies. Too sad, it's too late. As pet owners, they need to be responsible with their pets being vaccinated as early as possible. Being able to complete the desired vaccine your pet needs may decrease the incidence of rabies. As to th...
 (Total 164 words)