General
"People always say 'yes absolutely I'll give blood' but they don't" - Why are fewer people giving blood?

"People always say 'yes absolutely I'll give blood' but they don't" - Why are fewer people giving blood?

Shared by:

First time blood donation levels have dropped by a fifth in the last decade.

www.thejournal.ie

23 Oct 2016 - General

I think that the idea of donating blood is probably scary for most people. For some, even being pricked by a needle and seeing their own blood isn’t a pleasant experience, what more for donating blood? However, I think this concern can be answered by proper information campaigns on why we should donate blood and how the process is done. It’s normal for people to automatically fear something they don’t know about. I think the National Service Training Program (NSTP) in universities here in the Ph...
 (Total 120 words)
I would have to agree that lack of time is one of the reasons why less people are engaging in blood donation. This is specially true in institutions wherein there is a cue for donating blood. I agree with Md Shamim Reza that establishing public awareness is key to encouraging blood donation. I also think that organizing "blood drives" in remote locations can help increase the supply of blood for replac...
 (Total 107 words)
When someone talks about his or her previous experience of a blood donation, everyone needs to donate blood. But when the situation comes they hesitate most of the time and there are a group of people who always go forward to donate blood. Some are afraid of the blood born diseases and their complications. Most of the time they are worried about HIV AIDS and hepatitis B. Actually there are few cases reported about having HIV AIDS or hepatitis following a blood donation or a transfusion. Some are...
 (Total 114 words)
Yes Md Shamim Reza , totally agree that having sufficient storage of blood products in very important. A lot of medical or surgical emergencies will require the transfusion of blood products. Without the availability of blood products, patients may not be survived. It is good to know that the situation in your country has improved. It is still a worldwide problem of not getting adequate blood donors. I would say ...
 (Total 117 words)
This is really a problem. Blood transfusion is a life saving procedure for the patients. Many people with haematological disorders can't live without regular transfusion. Many patients need blood transfusion for surgery. Even healthy people may have an accident anytime and lose much blood. In that case, blood transfusion will be an emergency. But what can we do to save these people if no donor is found? Not only in Ireland, it is a great problem in many other countries. The only effective wa...
 (Total 149 words)
Blood donation is very important to keep the blood bank with sufficient supply of blood, for blood transfusion for the patients who require it for life saving purpose. Constant and adequate public donation of blood is required to replenish the blood product in the blood bank. However, it seems like the worldwide blood donations have been dropping. If the trend continues, then the blood bank may be facing insufficiency of blood products to be given to patients requiring blood transfusion. There a...
 (Total 121 words)