General
Why do some patients lie?

Why do some patients lie?

Shared by:

Sometimes patients lie to control how they are perceived by others and possibly gain favour. Others also lie because it makes them feel good and helps to boost their self-esteem.

today.mims.com

25 Oct 2016 - General

If I did not belong in the healthcare profession and I became a patient, I'd probably lie too.

The first reason I'd lie is because I'm scared. I'm scared to know the truth about my condition, and even though it might not be that serious, I don't want to be judged. But in the end, anything kept secret will never stay a secret.

Second, I'd lie because I want to get a vacation. Or just to rest for a day or two. I know the doctor could tell that I am lying ...
 (Total 113 words)
I have experiences it so many times. When I take a history from a patient he or she hides some facts and when my consultant comes to the stage they reveal everything putting myself and my other co junior doctors in a trouble. Sometimes it is very hard to take a sexual history of a person because that is too much of privacy and they think that if they expose the details to us there would be lot of problems in their family life. Sometimes when a patient gets admitted to the hospital they hide some...
 (Total 111 words)
There is indeed a lot of factors why patients lie. I guess here in Asia, keeping some information in private is common. First is because they are embarass to let another stranger per say (ex. Doctors) to know their situation. They are ashamed that they have a certain disease. Second is they have a medical background and they may know what disease they may have and they are afraid or have fear in confirming their disease. 3rd is when they din't find it important to share the other details. Th...
 (Total 145 words)
I agree that there are a lot of reasons why patients lie. In my opinion, I think its a coping mechanism. Most patients are frightened whenever they consult, and a lot of times I have observed some patients who downplay their symptoms. They deny weakness, sensory changes, and severe headaches etc. But this is uncovered by a neurologic exam, or an imaging modality. A lot of times I think they want to hear that they are well and they don't need an invasive form of treatment. This actually makes...
 (Total 133 words)
Patients lie for a lot of reasons. One is the conservative culture of Asia as opposed to Western countries. One cannot blame lying patients because they are afraid to get judged about abortion, history of sexually transmitted infection, coitarche, diagnosis of psychiatric disorder, and other data that patients consider to be sensitive. Another reason could be if the topic is taboo in the eyes of society especially if it something that pertains to coitus (i.e. when they can have intimacy after a ...
 (Total 161 words)
Malingering is a disgusting problem for doctors. I got many patients screaming as they are having severe pain or totally silent as they are unconscious. This kind of patients usually come with multiple anxious attendants and draw a lot of attention. But evaluation of those patients reveals nothing abnormal. The malingering can be identified but they hamper the environment of ward.
Many patient tell a lie about their habits related to their disease. I see most of the COPD patients tell a lie...
 (Total 174 words)
It is very important to understand how patients think. It is very common in the clinical practice to find many patients withhold information or outright lie to their doctors for fear of being judged or to avoid being lectured. Others do it because they want something from their doctor like pain medication or a diagnosis that enables them to have a work leave or certain support. Unfortunately, such deceit forces physicians to order unnecessary and increasingly invasive tests to diagnose the patie...
 (Total 110 words)