General
Nurses: 7 ways to make your ICU patient smile

Nurses: 7 ways to make your ICU patient smile

Shared by:

Ever heard that laughter is the best medicine? Nurses are constantly finding ways to make our patients feel more comfortable, but some insights may help you find better ways.

today.mims.com

25 Oct 2016 - General

Thanks for sharing this topic in the community. This would be of a great help not only for nurses but also to all who provides care in the healthcare team and even with patients in their household. Smiling is contagious and even the most irate individual will soften instantly if they see you smiling. Every patient is already stressful and anxious with their present condition and we don't want to add up right? Let us make our patients feel like they're not sick. This can also help boost a...
 (Total 115 words)
Thanks for sharing this topic in the community. This would be of a great help not only for nurses but also to all who provides care in the healthcare team and even with patients in their household. Smiling is contagious and even the most irate individual will soften instantly if they see you smiling. Every patient is already stressful and anxious with their present condition and we don't want to add up right? Let us make our patients feel like they're not sick. This can also help boost a...
 (Total 115 words)
Most ICU patients will be intubated and sedated, thus they may not be able to remember most of the things when they are critically ill. However some will actually remember despite being on medications that will have antegrade and retrograde amnesia - like midazolam. They can sense the movement and hear voices around them. It is believed that talking to comatosed patient may trigger the brain wave and subsequently aids in the patient's recovery into waking up. Thus any little action that the ...
 (Total 122 words)
It is a nature of the public that a when a patient is being treated in an intensive care unit, it is considered as the person is living the few last days of the life. All relatives and the patient get worried . Even after being a doctor one of us also might get worried if one of our relatives get into an ICU. So there should be a calm and friendly environment in the ICU and the staff also should be a good tempered staff. If the patient develops a hope we can see a smile on their faces. So the se...
 (Total 110 words)
Madhubabu kaaja thank you for sharing this article , it is really helpful and the tips mentioned in it if followed the results will be perfect and I think the healthcare facilities will not be placed that patients panic from.
Taking patient out will give them a positive feelings and will improve their health, make them cooperative to return to their normal life and joining their families.
Nurses work are t...
 (Total 134 words)
These are great tips to guide us in improving the well-being of our patients who require medical assistance and attention. Nevertheless, in reality our ICU patients are mostly bed bound and intubated with an inability to communicate with us until they are awake from their unconscious state. These tips would be useful not only in ICU patients but all patients in general. These habits should be cultivated by every healthcare personnel and should be practiced frequently. Some patients might not wan...
 (Total 121 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto nurses who are familiar to ous shows an extent care than non familiar nurses. Jemelyn Mae Sodusta patient shows their gratitude for your services and they will never forget you in life. TALAL HUSSAIN thanking you sharing of Ph...
 (Total 119 words)
Heena Pohani You have a great suggestion in providing music therapy for ICU patients. Soft, neutral music could help alleviate them of some stress from staying in the ICU. For those who can afford some mobility and are extubated, this can decrease anxiety. I remember one patient telling me that he wants to be discharged from the ICU when he heard that code blue was performed on the next bed. ...
 (Total 146 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta great tip there you have mentioned. I have seen few nurses follow it and it helps patient a lot. As far as other efforts are concerned , they are all important on nurses part and i must acknowledge that almost all the time i have seen them do a great job in this regards. Especially the nurses from the philippine i have had experience working with are fantastic in patient well being other than...
 (Total 94 words)
Yes that's true, nurses really play a big role in the care of a patient whether or not he is in the ICU. I remember when my dad was in and out of the hospital, he took note of his favorite nurses. Great nurses made an impact on him. They were the ones who shared a joke with him, laughed and listened to his stories, offered something extra or asked what he needed, and so forth. He also took a note of nurses who came in with a sour face, nurses who raised their voices at him or refused his req...
 (Total 159 words)
I would like to add some tip in making them smile and as well as making them happy in their stay in ICU. Since most of my time was spent in Intensive Care Unit, and most of our patients are intubated, the most basic thing we always do is to make them express their feelings. We give them the opportunity to express what is not good and what can we do to alleviate the discomfort. One of which is we provide letters from a to z. They are just pointing the letters they want to share with us. And somet...
 (Total 170 words)
Great suggestions. Nurses have a very important role in influencing a patient's emotional resilience. If patients feel well taken cared of, the likelihood of them having a positive attitude towards their illness is better. I think the most important thing to do is to gain the trust of the patient, because once patients trust their nurses, they become more open in telling how they feel, or if they are feeling any new symptom. This enables the nurse to care more for the patient. I think one of...
 (Total 131 words)
Nurses play an important role in the management of ICU patients. They mostly come in contact with the patients for an increased duration of time and so they can influence the outcome of the treatment in a positive way. The article mentions very nice tips like they can enter the room with a smile, add colour to the room, take the patient outdoor if possible. Apart from this if possible the nurse can add a lit bit of music in that ICU. I believe music has tremendous healing powers. Talking to the ...
 (Total 126 words)