General
Do healthcare professionals need to rest when they fall sick?

Do healthcare professionals need to rest when they fall sick?

Shared by:

With healthcare knowledge in hand, healthcare professionals are at an advantage in understanding what happens when they fall sick. However, some can remain adamant and argue that they do not need to rest when they fall ill.

today.mims.com

25 Oct 2016 - General

No problem Madhubabu kaaja I understand your point of view perfectly well. I only added onto your example wherein conditions of chronic leg pain may get in the way of sufficient doctoring. Once again "sick doctor is a useless doctor" should not be taken without looking at the context of the situation. This is basically what ...
 (Total 152 words)
Jennifer Winter "sick doctor is useless doctor" is dependent on the condition that why I used a simple example of leg pain task for Chih Chiang Nieh If sickness not effecting others without defect himself then doctor can do his patient care. As ...
 (Total 75 words)
Jennifer Winter, thanks for your comment, "a sick doctor is a useless doctor" is not literally useless, but there is certainly an impact to the efficiency and possibility an increased risk of errors suppose the doctor is unwell.
Madhubabu kaaja, the definition of sick can be various forms and a huge spectrum, suppose if a doctor has a severe medical condition and turns septic and requires to go ICU, then that is truly sick. If you are just talking about a blister or a just a common...
 (Total 122 words)
Most of the healthcare professionals would try their best of not to absence from working due to sickness. Sometime, they do force themselves to go to work when feeling sick, because of a variety of reasons, like do not want to let fellow colleagues to take on their work-loads, felt that the “sickness” was just a minor setback, want to avoid absentee due to sickness, or may felt that “absentee because of sickness may be a sign of weakness”, and etc. But, we should definitely take the sick leave ...
 (Total 157 words)
Madhubabu kaaja: being the kind of person who likes to relate popular culture to a lot of topics I thought of Dr. House when you mentioned a doctor with severe leg pain. "a sick doctor is a useless doctor" should not be taken literally but we all know that with any incapacities we do not function our best. If we would take Dr. House as an example who had chronic leg pain he was not always 100%. So it all...
 (Total 113 words)
I can directly related to the topic. I remembered the time when I was admitted just January this year for 9 day diagnosed with asthma. I feel so helpless, no one to take care for me while admitted because my family was away from me. I was too confident with myself that I may have developed immunity and that I am no longer vulnerable to acquire diseases as I am athletic and healthy enough. Not until I was admitted. Working in the hospital is really tasking and it will drain us really up to the la...
 (Total 171 words)
I can directly related to the topic. I remembered the time when I was admitted just January this year for 9 day diagnosed with asthma. I feel so helpless, no one to take care for me while admitted because my family was away from me. I was too confident with myself that I may have developed immunity and that I am no longer vulnerable to acquire diseases as I am athletic and healthy enough. Not until I was admitted. Working in the hospital is really tasking and it will drain us really up to the la...
 (Total 171 words)
I agree with Chih Chiang Nieh on how a sick doctor is a useless doctor. As much as we are still able to function the fact that we are not optimally functioning means that we are more prone to errors due to the illness. I know that even when at home and I am sick I cannot properly answer people because of being very floaty-like. Aside from not being all there in the head we are also putting our patients at risk a...
 (Total 169 words)
To me, "A sick doctor is a useless doctor." If a healthcare worker is sick, he should be allowed ample of time to take break and recover, because firstly, being sick, the efficiency and ability to concentrate drops, and this increases the chance of making medication error or mistakes in clinical judgement, or missing out important key factors; secondly, being sick, one may be contagious and worse still if the healthcare worker is dealing with patients who are immunocompromised such as ...
 (Total 168 words)
Yes indeed. I am on what I have commented before. All occupations are hard. Every working person suffers because of the matters in the work place. But as we all know, medicine is the most stressful course and the occupation among the all occupations in the world. So at least when a health care professional gets an illness it is his or her right to have a rest. But one's rest should not make a difference in managing patients. Other co workers have to help the situation. As we sacrifice lots o...
 (Total 109 words)
Madhubabu kaaja That is exactly my point. This will increase the burden on other doctors who will compensate for a co-workers absence. This applies not only to doctors but all healthcare professionals. Another issue would be the lower salary of Asian healthcare workers compared to Western counterparts. This has already been discussed in a previous topic in the community about providing paid sick leaves in order fo...
 (Total 115 words)
Madhubabu kaaja thank you for sharing this article, anyone in every facility should rest when feels ill,
Ignoring your body and mind will cause consequences that will affect your work,other people and your self certainly.
Blaming yourself and had the feeling of being guilty that you took a rest when your are ill is not right instead think that you will work better and help others better if you take a rest ...
 (Total 115 words)
Of course we need rest. We are humans too. The workload we have and responsibilities we carry are extremely heavy and exhausting. Sometimes due to the abnormal or lack of sleep and insufficient vitamins due to irregular and unhealthy food we consume can lead to us falling sick. We should take ourselves seriously and stop when needed so that we can have ample rest and sleep. Having proper balanced diet can also boost you immunity and prevent you from having unnecessary flu and respiratory illness...
 (Total 119 words)
Really. Asking us if we need a rest if we are sick. Tskk. Of course we need rest. Thats why sick leave was made. It is given to those who can't make it to work because of sickness. However, in my experience some health care professional prefers to work even if they have an illness. They have to work because there is a great burden if they leave the ward with few staff. Thinking that understaffing is already their and losing another staff is such a big deal. What we usually do is, sometimes w...
 (Total 140 words)