General
Pharmacists: What painkiller is best for mild to moderate pain?

Pharmacists: What painkiller is best for mild to moderate pain?

Shared by:

Not all pain is equal, and neither are painkillers. Pain is one of the most common symptoms and its presence is almost ubiquitous in all diseases and injuries, hence this is an important area for all healthcare professionals to note.

today.mims.com

25 Oct 2016 - General

Some patients experience a mild to moderated burning sensation when they take PCM alone. Actually mind it that it is not a proven scientific fact that PCM causes gastric irritation. But what I think is that most of the patients in our ward are being kept nil by mouth as a preparation for the surgery or after surgeries which involve the bowels. So we usually give a H-2 receptor blocker or a proton pump inhibitor to prevent gastric irritation by HCl secreted by the stimulation of PCM which comes ...
 (Total 104 words)
As a starter of pain relief, we usually use paracetamol and if it is on continuous use we add a H-2 receptor blocker or a proton pump inhibitor. Paracetamol is the best drug for those who have pains with fever. Using a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug is not done for the ones who develop pains with fever because the fever can be due to dengue infection and if it is haemorrhagic, the bleeding manifestations will be severe with NSAIDs. Ibuprofen and mefenamic acid are the NSAIDs with low stren...
 (Total 130 words)
In pediatric practice also, paracetamol is the the preferred analgesic most of the times. For relief of post surgcal pain, we prefer the per rectal route mostly because patients are kept nill by mouth after surgery so administration of per rectal analgesics is more suitable and convenient. Diclofenac is the next commonest drug that we prescribe for children. For muskuloskeletal pain, we go with either diclofenac or ibuprofen with omeprazole cover. For severe pain after major surgeries like appen...
 (Total 100 words)
Mark Edmon Tan obviously Paracetamol is first selection for alone and combinations therapy for analagesics and thanking you for sharing your practical views in pain management. I would like to know 2 things from your end that is 1. Can you brief me about aceclofenac soft gel means route of administration, dose and dosage etc 2. How you prefer Eyorocoxib, which rejected by US FDA and even available in 40+countries...
 (Total 75 words)
For analgesic naive patients, paracetamol will do the trick. Some prescribe paracetamol at 1 gram q8 but I prefer to prescribe 500mg q6 for pain. For patients who have used painkillers, combination of NSAIDs and paracetamol is a must to afford pain relief. Usually, NSAIDs are prescribed for 3 to 5 days at maximum dose with paracetamol as adjunct and taken prn for pain. As for the type of NSAID, I prefer non-selective over selective type because it has a better track record for pain relief as lon...
 (Total 151 words)