General
Here's why chocolate and wine give some people migraines

Here's why chocolate and wine give some people migraines

Shared by:

Scientists think they've figured out why chocolates and wine can trigger migraines in some unlucky people: it's down to gut microbes and the way they interact with chemicals in food.

www.sciencealert.com

26 Oct 2016 - General

Whew! Good thing I am not suffering migraines from wine and chocolates. Hehe! But I have heard of people getting migraines from chocolates and this is good information about that. So food and drinks with high nitrate provide the bacteria fuel to further product nitrates, to form nitric oxide that is linked to migraine episodes. If further research confirms this, then I'd say the use of a probiotic mouthwash will be beneficial. I do not suffer regular migraines but I've been a victim a fe...
 (Total 145 words)
Good information right there. I found this part particularly interesting though regarding the relation of migraine and gut bacteria: "If it really does exist, one day there could be a range of treatments to alleviate migraines, like a "magical probiotic mouthwash", Gonzalez suggests."" Imagine having to explain to your patient that you are treating their migraine by treating bacteria in their gut. The distance between their head and their gut will cause them to scratch t...
 (Total 104 words)
I completely agree with you Alan. It is such a tragedy that one cannot enjoy the things that are there because of illnesses. I can imagine the feeling one may get if he / she is unable to eat chocolate, such a delicate food just because they are getting an unbearable headache after eating that. And yeah, this explains why there is headache and nausea with the use of nitrates. Patients who are first started on nitrates usually following a cardiovascular event often complain of a very severe heada...
 (Total 102 words)
Such a tragedy for those who experience migraine while drinking wine or having chocolates. The few things in life that we can enjoy without getting into trouble are taken away just like that. I feel you guys.. Anyway, Nitrates in the body are good as it helps in boosting blood circulation and cardiovascular health. Which are the two main important reasons why we are still alive and living it! But to a certain extent, it will lead to unnecessary migraines which are sometime a hindrance to work an...
 (Total 137 words)
Migraine is called the vascular headache. It is caused by vasodilation. If the venous sinuses of the brain dilate, it exerts some kind of pressure and pain is initiated. I was really confused about the fact of association of some foods with migraine. Now I got the answer. Nitrates are vasodilator and of course useful for us. But they can cause headache, even in without presence of migraine. Patients of ischemic heart disease who take nitrates regularly are advised to take that at morning and noo...
 (Total 129 words)
The association between chocolate and migraine is well known. I have a close relation of mine who is suffering from migraine, and I have been asked quite often the question, 'why does diet has so much of an impact on migraine headache?' 'How can eating food like chocolates increase the chances of me getting migraine?' Well, this is the answer. Some food items contain nitrates. These nitrates are oxidized by the commensal bacteria in the gut to produce nitric oxide, which is a kno...
 (Total 101 words)