General
Doctor by descent: What it’s like to be in a family of physicians

Doctor by descent: What it’s like to be in a family of physicians

Shared by:

As one might imagine, families that are so professionally homogeneous create particular environments and family dynamics that make for interesting stories and experiences. The children, for instance, get much more pointed guidance backed by experience while parents, on the other hand, are in the unique position of being looked up to and being objects of inspiration.

today.mims.com

26 Oct 2016 - General

When I was about to open my clinic and was wondering where I was going to get my patients, I thought to myself, "I wish I came from a family of dentists and my parents had an established practice I would just inherit." It took awhile for me to settle in, in private practice and from my observation, the ones who had it easier were friends who had parents with established and flourishing practices. Everything was setup for them and they merely had to continue whereas I had to start from ...
 (Total 186 words)
I come from a family of dentists which actually means I come from a family of doctors but instead of that particular field I went on to become a physician. It is advantageous to come from such a family as the home setting is aware of the medical field and you grow up used to such an environment. Mark Edmon Tan: "Six doctors under one roof should make very interesting dinner conversations."---and it woul...
 (Total 219 words)
Being a doctor’s daughter, ever since I was little, my mom and everyone around me expected me to take up medicine to the point that I didn’t even know what course I really wanted to take up. I ended up choosing Pharmacy, with my mom intending it to be a pre-med course. However, I did not continue to medicine as I felt that it really wasn’t my calling. Though my mom was a bit disappointed, I’m lucky that she has been very understanding, and I also have no regrets for choosing my own path. I do ad...
 (Total 159 words)
Six doctors under one roof should make very interesting dinner conversations. I think that doctors are very underrated for having a strong stomach. We can talk about anything gross and continue eating since it is routine for us. Can you imagine a person without medical background still be able to eat after discussing an operating room experience of performing amputation? I say that doctors may have one of the most gruelsome dinner conversation topics. Nonetheless, having parents who are doctors ...
 (Total 126 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz There are also disadvantages to it, especially if the son/daughters takes the same specialty as his parent. We all know that the competition is innate among medical professionals, and it is not uncommon to have skill sets or clinical acumen compared. In the case of being a son or a daughter of a medical legend, this is a challenge because of the people's expectations. I personally know of a...
 (Total 112 words)
Well, .. very interesting family in the article indeed. I also had few of my friends came from family of doctors. It is both encouraging and stressful at the same time. Those of medical families get easily adapted to study longer hours and quicker to go through the medical pathway due to their early exposure to the medical environment. However, those who got their parents and siblings in the medical profession, they feel obliged to join the party! They bear the stress to enter be also a doctor e...
 (Total 140 words)
I have a lot of friends who came from families of doctors. I guess they are highly influenced by their parents and siblings because they basically look up to them as role models. For a child, the idea of helping others and curing illnesses is a very attractive option, and if that is reinforced by living with family members who are doctors, then the idea of becoming one will surely be encouraging. On the other hand, I also have friends who came a similar medical background, but thinks otherwise. ...
 (Total 140 words)