General
Backtracking the history of the HIV virus through paleovirology

Backtracking the history of the HIV virus through paleovirology

Shared by:

The study of modern consequences of ancient viruses takes a broader view in the fight against viruses, besides developing drugs, predicting the spread of the viruses and the quarantine of those infected.

today.mims.com

27 Oct 2016 - General

Evolutionary microbiology provides important clues as to how viruses mutate and become more virulent. I think that an evolutionary perspective in this regard will be helpful in understanding this highly pathogenic virus even more. I am actually very hopeful that modern science can offer a cure for this disease. I have been very much exposed to the devastating complications of AIDS infections, and as a doctor, sometimes I cannot help but feel frustrated because I cannot do much to improve the pli...
 (Total 110 words)
Scientists have always believed that the chimpanzee version of the immunodeficiency virus (called simian immunodeficiency virus or SIV) most likely was transmitted to humans and mutated into HIV when humans hunted these chimpanzees in West Africa for meat and came into contact with their infected blood. Over decades, the virus slowly spread across Africa and later into other parts of the world. The magical ability of paleovirology has enabled us to link it to its earliest closest relative found ...
 (Total 120 words)