General
Healthcare professionals: What you should know about shared decision-making

Healthcare professionals: What you should know about shared decision-making

Shared by:

Shared decision-making is a crucial part of patient-centered care. The process can have numerous benefits, but also some potential downsides.

today.mims.com

27 Oct 2016 - General

The decisions patients make in the dental office is not very serious, really. They are not life or death questions, unless you are talking about the life and death of a tooth. Always, when I see a patient, I take enough time to give him all his options. If he has four options and these options further branch out to sub-options, I will lay it out because I want them to be fully informed. When I am asked what I "think" is the best option, I would say that it depends on their priorities a...
 (Total 171 words)
In the past, medical management is generally paternalistic - whereby it is a doctor-centered care, whereby the doctor decides whatever that is necessary and good for the patient, and it is then delivered and explained to the patient for the patient to comply to. Nowadays as the society advances, with modern technology such as google readily available, patients are able to acquire information and hence the doctor-patient relationship has evolved to a kind of patient-centered care whereby the pati...
 (Total 157 words)
I have personal experiences at the ward currently I work. I have never been in conflicts with my colleagues. But I often find my seniors who are in a same level have been in arguments and mind hurts for some matters. Actually negotiation is much needed for the people who have engaged with health care system. The mutual understanding is much appreciated with this field. In patient management, I often see that one senior doctor is talking a decision and another takes a decision which is totally in...
 (Total 111 words)
It is really important to establish a therapeutic alliance between a patient and a doctor. I think that this really empowers the patient by playing an active role in making important decisions regarding his health and lifestyle. Apart from this, shared-decision gives a better chance for a successful treatment because regimens will be tailored specifically according to the patient's needs. The patient can also be encouraged to talk about potential barriers to compliance so that healthcare pro...
 (Total 128 words)
Decision making itself is crucial especially when it comes to "LIFE". It is a good practice for healthcare professionals, especially doctors to involve patients in making decision following a detailed pros and cons of the planned management. Some may let the doctor decide for it alone and not bother at all but shared decision making empowers the patients and feel a little bit more control over what is happening. As a renal nurse, I have a small share in letting the patients decide ever...
 (Total 213 words)
In an ideal patient care setting, shared decision making should be the norm for every patient and his or her heath care providers. However, today’s very busy professionals may sometimes not be able to explain everything to a patient. In some hospitals, especially, some physicians may simply request or recommend certain procedures which aren’t explained to the patient. Though some patients may not mind, some are actually very inquisitive and doubtful. As the article says, some patients may want t...
 (Total 130 words)