General
Increased use of touchscreens among children found to improve motor control

Increased use of touchscreens among children found to improve motor control

Shared by:

The fears of many parents associated with early exposure to computers may be overcome by a recent study which showed that early touchscreen usage is linked to increased fine motor control in toddlers.

today.mims.com

29 Oct 2016 - General

Yes. Kids are quite quick now. I see children on their tablets and they're brilliant. Some are very young and they can control the gadget with much ease, even better than some adults, and they're quite good with the games/educational stuff. But I am still against the use of tablets for children, especially those who are very young. Actually, if you can keep them away, I would prefer it that way. I see this as lazy parenting (no offense), because I see a lot of parents relying on gadgets ...
 (Total 173 words)
@Marinelle Castro Thank you in supportive of my stand. I totally agree that at this young age, which is also known as the critical period, is the time where the child would learn language and build synaptic connections in the nervous system. Once a person missed that period of growth, it is a point of no return. Certainly we can see a significant difference in children who are glued to touchscreen or television and cartoons as opposed to children who are more interactive with the real environmen...
 (Total 124 words)
In my opinion, it is not beneficial to introduce these devices before the age of two. The highest potential for neurons to engage in many synaptic connections occur during at age. It is more important for children to learn to interact with their natural environment in order to achieve normal functioning. As mentioned in the article, children can suffer from language delay as a result of early exposure to these gadgets. I agree with ...
 (Total 116 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan thank you for sharing this article , i want to share my sister experience about her first child,
Since her baby was 6 months old , and she was able to sit , My sister started to put her in her chair and let her watch cartoon and kids songs, she was a new mother and she was spending more time trying to do the home duties, and this attitude she treated her baby with kept as the daily routi...
 (Total 193 words)
Computer use in children is being increased with time and multiple research studies have been carried out to identify the risks, harms and benefits of the use of electronic media in children. This research study is about positive effects of electronic devices among children. It has been observed that early adaptation of technology by children is associated with better motor skills and control in toddlers. But it is also noted that children who played non-educational games using touch screen devi...
 (Total 107 words)
There are many ways in which one can stimulate children to develop their gross and fine motor skills. Thus I do not recommend parents to introduce touchscreens. There are a few detrimental effects on young childrens using touchscreens.
Firstly, it is bad for their vision, young children are developing and by letting them see small screens with bright light may lead to increase chance of myopia and astigmatism in future.
Secondly, this may be a form of addiction. Clever children may use ...
 (Total 150 words)
It is recommended that children below 2 years old have zero screen time. I agree and disagree with this as with the rampance of technology nowadays this is quite difficult to achieve. I definitely see the pros and cons with the use of touchscreen devices in children and I think the best thing to do is just limit the amount of time they use them. When they do use them it should be directed towards something educational like an educational game or show. It is always good to start early with educat...
 (Total 105 words)
I think everyone will agree that early exposure to touchscreen devices will have both positive and negative effects. As for this study, it highlights the positive effect of gadgets to fine motor skills and early education. If one browses through nursery rhymes channels, a view of at least 50,000,000 people is easily evident. Early introduction to gadgets may also make children more technologically savvy, a requirement in the modern age. However, children will miss out on developing gross motor s...
 (Total 145 words)
Really huh. This is the first article I've read about the positive effects of tablets and electronic devices towards the young most especially infants to toddlers. Well in my own perspective, I would still stick to the old way on how to raise a child. Keeping them away from these gadgets and decreasing the exposure would still be my best suggestion. It's always way better to let them develop each milestone accordingly. Though these items has positive benefits, it will increase your motor...
 (Total 120 words)