General

Use of Uber, Grab car rather than conventional cab in Singapore

Created by:

29 Oct 2016 - General

In Singapore, taxi fares and road taxes - ERP has been on an increasing trend. Taxi drivers are getting more obnoxious and they tend to choose whether who and where they want to pick up passengers. This allows part-time drivers licensed to Uber and Grab car to be able to have an oppotunity to get more customers. It is really frustrating to flag a taxi on the road especially during the notorious "changing shift" period, where the taxi drivers would only pick those who are along their way to change shift. This leads to a huge demand of taxis during those period and unfortunately one of the changing shift period is when people are going off work around 6-7 pm. Using Uber and grab car is easy and sometimes there may be promotional discounts which makes them way cheaper than conventional taxi. However, on the other hand, the rates fluctuates alot based on demand and supply. Wondering does people from other countries use Uber and Grab car as well? 

Grab and Uber are quite popular in the Philippines. It is convenient and people feel safer with it, so it gained attention quite quickly. I use Grab whenever I need to take a cab because it's nice to not have to hail a ride. I mean, it's hot and sometimes it takes so long for an empty car to pass, so you get toasted and wasted under the sun. My younger sisters love to use GRAB and UBER, especially when they have early meetings. One that's becoming really popular is the carpool versio...
 (Total 119 words)
However, I had a bad experience before when the driver and I had to wait for 30 minutes because another passenger who car pooled with me was inconsiderate. She firstly put the wrong location, and did not have the courtesy to call the driver. I took the initiative to ask the driver to call her when we arrived at the location for pick up but she was nowhere to be seen. After which when we found the correct pick up point she was late and she kept saying she is on her way 5 minutes, until when she r...
 (Total 115 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh The situation is similar in our country. There are some passengers who complain of broken meters, obnoxious drivers, with overall poor quality of service. Since Uber and Grab car were launched, a lot of passengers use these services because they have several advantages. For one, the vehicles are in good shape because these companies observe strict quality requirements. Drivers are less likely t...
 (Total 111 words)
Here in the Philippines we use grab taxi and uber as well. It definitely is more convenient especially when trying to get a ride at night, when its raining or when there are many people waiting in line at a taxi stand. It is extra convenient when coming from the airport in our capital Manila. Taxi drivers there are extra obnoxious and they charge you really high fees. The last time I traveled out of the country my friends and I took an uber to the bus station. I used uber as well in the US as I ...
 (Total 134 words)