General
Medical Mystery: Is it possible to survive without food?

Medical Mystery: Is it possible to survive without food?

Shared by:

A small segment of society believe that it is possible for humans to live without food, and they call themselves 'Breatharians'. While the medical community does not necessarily completely agree with their beliefs, this micro trend does not seem to have abated at all.

today.mims.com

29 Oct 2016 - General

Is it possible to survive without food or maybe even without water??? This is quite a hilarious question indeed. I haven’t come across anyone that can survive without any food or water or any nutrition supplements!!! I would say that it will not be possible to survive without any food or water intake. Food and water are the basic essential supply for our human life. All the cells in our body will require the energy supply to keep them working 24/7. Starvation and dehydration for a prolonged per...
 (Total 113 words)
First time I've heard of an extremist group who shares the delusion of surviving without food. Like Dr Hoffman said in the last paragraph of the article, we are not plants and we do not have the capacity to photosynthesize! I really don't know who started this myth, and it is unfortunate that despite the advances in science and technology, some individuals still believed in this extremist habit. Fasting is still a customary habit that is practiced by some people. Others do this for relig...
 (Total 108 words)
It is truly an interesting topic Heena Pohani but in my views nobody can survive without food and water above a limited duration depending on his physical health condition. The concept of Breatharians is only valid up to research and educational purposes as it does not have a medical basis. Fasting is an old age practice; it is true because it is a religious act in different religions including Islam and fasting has a limited duration that will end after that. If somebody lives without food and ...
 (Total 116 words)
It is the first time I have heard of the term breatharianism. Most doctors would agree that is not even worth trying because we do not have the same physiologic make-up as plants to survive with only exposure to sunlight. It would be extremely taxing for the body to go into a state of sudden starvation and metabolic ketoacidosis will definitely occur in the long run. For the time being, I would have to say it is impossible to survive without food for more than 2 weeks. I am saying for the time b...
 (Total 126 words)
This is an interesting topic! I can't really visualise anyone surviving without food for many days. However, this article tells about the people who call themselves as "Breatharians" and they claim to survive without food for a long period of time. Fasting is an age-old tradition in India and many yogis, rishis used to follow it believing it as a way to gain control over the senses. Also, great leaders also practiced fasting as a means of non-violence activity for showing oppositio...
 (Total 149 words)