General
Why patients receiving organs from deceased donors have higher risk of cancer

Why patients receiving organs from deceased donors have higher risk of cancer

Shared by:

While it is widely known that some bodily functions continue for a while after death but scientists now say that gene activity can be added to the list of after-death phenomena.

today.mims.com

30 Oct 2016 - General

I'd like to add to this valuable discussion that statistics show that the incidence of cancer deaths in Solid Organ Transplants is 2.84 times higher than that of the general population, according to a study published online January 7 in JAMA Oncology. It was already known that while transplantation is a life-saving therapy for patients with end-stage organ disease, it also puts recipients at an increased risk for developing cancer, in part because of medications administered to suppress the ...
 (Total 134 words)
We can get very useful information about our life when we study death. The donation of body organs after death is a general practice but the quality of transplant can be accurately analyzed by studying the genes activity after death. From birth to death multiple genes have on and off status so it is important to consider which genes are shut down immediately after death and which are still active. A recent study has shown that cancer-promoting genes become more active after death, therefore, the...
 (Total 112 words)
Compatibility issues are not the only concern for organ recipients it seems. Thank you for this update, Marinelle Castro. The field of medicine is delving into the molecular level. From this study, it seems that inactive oncogenes can become activated after death. Moreover, other active genes can be the one responsible for inducing stress to the body by stimulating the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines. More ...
 (Total 125 words)
The concept of genetic material exerting activity hours after death is quite perplexing. This raises several questions to my mind, and I am really interested to read published articles on this topic. It actually sounds science fiction to me at the moment. Contrary to what was said in the article, post-transplant patients generally have a higher risk of cancer because they are taking immunosuppressants. Anti-rejection medications such as Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate mofetil were found to increase...
 (Total 114 words)