General
Poll: Do you think the 'male pill' will take off?

Poll: Do you think the 'male pill' will take off?

Shared by:

The 96% effectiveness rate is similar to that achieved by the female combined pill.

www.thejournal.ie

30 Oct 2016 - General

Thanks everyone for sharing the great opinions. And comments. I would agree that there will always be some dividing opinions among the male counterpart with regards to the willingness of taking the responsibility to take the contraceptive pill or injections. As per Jemelyn Mae Sodusta pointed out, sometime male may have forgotten to take the pills, and “unexpected disaster” may occur. The compliance rate for m...
 (Total 109 words)
Well, this is a very rich and interesting discussion indeed. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts. There will many amusing opinions regarding the male pill for sure. besides reviving the religious and cultural controversy about contraception in general, I can expect some men saying that it is easier to stop the monthly one ovum instead of controlling the daily millions of sperms. Others will be reluctant due to the mood swi...
 (Total 145 words)
I don't have any feminist point of view for this because I feel that having to take pills everyday for men may be difficult. Though since You Yi Hong and Alan Rosmadi are willing there is chance that others will as well. It may not be as popular as it pills are among women but let's face a number of men prefer not to use c...
 (Total 101 words)
Such an interesting topic to talk and to be discuss. Eversince, we are used to female contraception so this is another 360 degrees turn! A male pill! I guess this is the time to let the opposite gender to use contraception too. This will be useful if proven safe to couples who do a family planning. In my opinion for this male pill, i voted for " i am not sure". Since i don't know how men will react to this. It is really unusual for them to take regularly this pill. But who knows? T...
 (Total 116 words)
Jennifer Winter personally i would upkeep to this if i am being aware of the current situation now. Personally, i do not wish to have too many kids when i am married but my partner does. Any the only reason women give for not taking contraception is that they do not want to get fat. I don't see the rationale there. Some people give birth too much that they become a larger person. So what is the difference? So...
 (Total 149 words)
Jennifer Winter , if the new pill/injection for male contraception is managed to go through Phase 3 clinical trials, and get FDA approval, with acceptable and minimize side effects profile, I should be happy to take it if required. But, I am not sure about the rest of our male counterparts, maybe such an idea would not be quite attractive to the rest of them. It will take a long time to change the traditional pe...
 (Total 120 words)
I think majority of the poll who answered are male. Haha kidding aside. Well I voted that this will become popular but not as compared to those female pills. The first step will surely boost the popularity of the contraceptive but I just don't know if how many of the male population will be devoted enough to comply drinking on tim with these pills. I am not saying that men are lazy to take this type of regimen but this is quite of an awkward step. Maybe because we are used to only see women ...
 (Total 138 words)
now this quite interesting haha. I don't know how will a male contraceptive pill will catch on. Not saying that men aren't responsible enough to take a pill daily but I don't think it would really fly all too well as in the first place it is harder for men to comply with medications than women. If the side effects are not dire for men I think I may just push for the use of this form of contraception. I do like this gender equality in contraception deal ...
 (Total 162 words)
A very interesting poll indeed! Haha, I agree with the thoughts of Maria Cristina Inserto that it's about time men should also do some of the effort for contraception, especially because of the increased risks for using pills such as breast cancer and other adverse effects. However, I also find it true that we are in a patriarchal society and this kind of issue might take some time and a lot of negative press ...
 (Total 182 words)
You Yi Hong I like the idea of gender equality in contraception. However, change is difficult, albeit painful. I am optimistic that this idea will take of - - but it will take a lot of patience and effort from our male counterparts. For one, men are not accustomed to having mood swings and I think that this may really limit the popularity of this contraceptive method. ...
 (Total 133 words)
I would say this exciting new adventurous medical idea is still very new in its infancy stage. And we are not sure how the development of such idea will lead to in the future. I am totally agree with Maria Cristina Inserto that man should be have a shared responsibility in the area of contraception. Gender equality in contraception!!! ...
 (Total 131 words)
Woohoo! A poll for the community. I think this is the first poll in the MIMS community, You Yi Hong . I do not think it will take off for the following reasons 1.) safety issues - Injectable contraceptives for male have been known to cause mood swings. There was one incidence of suicide by the participant in the study. Testosterone combined with mood swings caused by progesterone can be potentially alarming espec...
 (Total 142 words)
As I mentioned in a similar post, I think it's about time that men take the step in contraception. If and when this becomes available, I think some men can start taking the pill because they have the "impregnating" component anyway. Also, men always complain about women getting fat, and some women are gaining weight because of contraception so why are they subjecting women to it? I mean, why does it have to be the women all the time. I answered the poll with an "I'm not su...
 (Total 125 words)

Male contraception injection or pill could be potential available in the future. Currently, there is no availability of male contraceptive pill. It seems like there were some side effects related to the male contraceptive injection, that delay its progress through the clinical trial. Will it be something unusual that man who will be required to take the contraception injection or pill in the future ??? Who will agree with such a possible change of trend in the coming future?? I would say t...
 (Total 103 words)