General
Common antihypertensive drugs may affect risk of mood disorders

Common antihypertensive drugs may affect risk of mood disorders

Shared by:

Four classes of commonly prescribed antihypertensive drugs are associated with modified risks of mood disorders such as bipolar disorder (BD) and depression, a recent study found.

specialty.mims.com

30 Oct 2016 - General

The findings from this study are very helpful, especially since hypertension is among the top of the list of morbidity causes worldwide. This can help physicians who prescribe anti-hypertensives, especially calcium channel blockers, be more cautious in prescribing such medications especially to those at risk of mood disorders and depression. Additionally, pharmacists and other health care professionals who dispense and administer such medications should counsel their patients receiving these med...
 (Total 111 words)
Well this is not a good news for those who are with medications for high blood pressure and having mood disorders. It has been found and confirmed that the anti hypertensive drugs trigger the mood disorders like depressive disorder and bipolar affective disorder. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors like captopril, enalapril, etc have the least risk of triggering the mood disorders. They are found to be much safer than the other anti hypertensives in mood disorders. It has been found that ca...
 (Total 105 words)
Tahira Nawaz , this is very helpful and informative for hypertensives like me. I have been diagnosed with essential hypertension since I was 26 years old and has been maintained on Amlodipine 5mg/tab 1 tab OD since. All along I noticed side effects such as flushing and bipedal edema. This study is very interesting because calcium channel blockers have been shown to increase the risk of mood disorders.
This w...
 (Total 121 words)
A new research regarding antihypertensive drugs has shown that common hypertensive drugs may affect the risk of mood disorders. Four classes of antihypertensive drugs that are commonly prescribed by the physician are found to be associated with modified risks of mood disorders such as bipolar disorder (BD) and depression. This new research was carried out at the University of Glasgow, the UK. The results of the detailed study have shown that ACEIs have the lowest risk of mood disorders and calci...
 (Total 116 words)