General
Why patients receiving organs from deceased donors have higher risk of cancer

Why patients receiving organs from deceased donors have higher risk of cancer

Shared by:

While it is widely known that some bodily functions continue for a while after death but scientists now say that gene activity can be added to the list of after-death phenomena.

today.mims.com

30 Oct 2016 - General

Quite a scary though for Halloween! Who knew that activity in some cells and genes would be happening even after death. What really got my attention is that the genes that are more active are those that promote cancer, which can then be transplanted into recipients of the cadaver’s organs. I wonder if there would be a way to screen for such activity before organ transplantation to ensure that no such genes can harm the organ recipients? If not, then it may be just one of the risks the recipient...
 (Total 118 words)
Very interesting topic indeed! I thought that the idea of life after death is a social belief, but after reading this post, I am surprised to see that some genes remain active even after death. The relativity of organ transplantation from a deceased donor and the recipient developing complications can be understood that if some malfunctioned organs are transplanted then it can affect the outcome of the whole treatment. However, the idea proposed in this post that some genes remain active even af...
 (Total 145 words)