General
Common antihypertensive drugs may affect risk of mood disorders

Common antihypertensive drugs may affect risk of mood disorders

Shared by:

Four classes of commonly prescribed antihypertensive drugs are associated with modified risks of mood disorders such as bipolar disorder (BD) and depression, a recent study found.

specialty.mims.com

30 Oct 2016 - General

Theoritically, beta blockers and calcium channel blocker may cause mood disorder. The antihypertensive drug reserpine was also withdrawn due to causing depression. But the currently prescribed drugs probably has very small effects on mood. I have seen many patient using calcium channel blocker, but none of them complained of depression. Some degree of adverse effect is normal for all drugs. But it is not an important issue untill the effects are so severe to warrent the use. I don't think we...
 (Total 98 words)
Theoritically, beta blockers and calcium channel blocker may cause mood disorder. The antihypertensive drug reserpine was also withdrawn due to causing depression. But the currently prescribed drugs probably has very small effects on mood. I have seen many patient using calcium channel blocker, but none of them complained of depression. Some degree of adverse effect is normal for all drugs. But it is not an important issue untill the effects are so severe to warrent the use. I don't think we...
 (Total 98 words)
Hypertension is one of the most common illnesses that healthcare providers. I am certain that even as undergraduate students, we have seen how these patients are being managed. I am not sure about the incidence of mood disorders that are associated with the treatment for hypertension. In fact I was not aware that some of these medications are associated with the development of mood disorders. Calcium-channel blockers are commonly used in our region, and so far I have not seen any patient who rep...
 (Total 121 words)