General
5% of medical students practice invasive clinical procedures on themselves in New Zealand

5% of medical students practice invasive clinical procedures on themselves in New Zealand

Shared by:

A survey from Otago University medical school revealed that some students practice procedures from taking blood to suturing without clinical supervision on each other, using pilfered equipment.

today.mims.com

1 Nov 2016 - General

Reminds me of a drama that telecasted in my countries many years ago. A boy enters medical school but does not get to complete the study due to family problems. But he comes back to his village and starts practicing as a doctor and everyone accepts him as a real doctor not knowing the truth behind. One night a man comes with a deep laceration and this guy is not confident enough to do the suturing. He turns the patients away to the hospital, takes a blade,cuts his own thigh and practices suturin...
 (Total 142 words)
I feel bad for the misguided younger colleagues. They should always be under direct supervision. I wonder what could have led them to wanting to practice procedures in private? Are they being ridiculed when they commit mistakes with supervision? It is not just unsafe but also unfair for these students to conduct procedure trials without guidance. How can they be sure if they are doing the right steps? What if an emergency arises while practicing? More importantly, they are practicing pilfering/s...
 (Total 116 words)
Peer practicing simple skills is actually not uncommon thing among medical students. I remember my university colleagues training to insert cannulas and other injection and suturing skills on each other. This phenomenon is even portrayed in Grey’s Anatomy TV series. Usually, these events go unnoticed and are considered similar to if you are treating a family member. Of course this practice is discouraged by the professors because medical students are not in a position to make unbiased or objecti...
 (Total 111 words)