General
3 things doctors should know about the all-important first impression

3 things doctors should know about the all-important first impression

Shared by:

As doctors, when you are used to seeing many returning patients in a day, it is very possible to overlook the importance of creating a good first impression on patients who are new.

today.mims.com

1 Nov 2016 - General

Its really true that a bad impression is difficult to reverse. This is the reason why doctors should make sure that they are in a good disposition whenever they see their patients, and they should avoid distraction at all times. It is really a turn off if a doctor is unable to hold a proper consultation because his phone keeps on ringing, and he prefers to answer it in the middle of consultation. I've seen this happen, and usually patients get very upset and they feel that their doctor is to...
 (Total 123 words)
First impression values you anywhere you study, work or live. Once you get into a new unit the impression you make in front of other co workers will remain with you and follow you as your shadow till the end of your working time in that unit. Like that the very first impression you make in front of your patients will drive them to come to you or go back to another professional. You have to show that you are the best one they can have at the moment and make sure that they will not regret of choos...
 (Total 113 words)
First impression in any encounter is very important. Working in healthcare sector, we do encounter a lot of different people and patients throughout our daily jobs. Sometime, some stressful event may affect our communication skill. But we should always remind ourselves to maintain our professionalism, keep up with a good communication skill with good eye contact whenever we approach or speak to our patients. It is very important to maintain a good doctor-patient relationship, so that patients wi...
 (Total 102 words)
I definitely agree with Priscilla Mae Gobuyan, the first impression is the first milestone in the doctor-patient relationship and so a doctor should definitely make a serious effort to make it the best experience for the patient. The ideas mentioned in this post are quite interesting and I agree with them.However, I believe that in this world of 21st century the first contact between the doctor and patient can oc...
 (Total 144 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I was about to make a reference to the "First impressions last" saying too. I would have to say that physical appearance still has some merits. A doctor who grooms and dresses appropriately will get those extra credits for looking credible. Keyword here is appropriate and not glamorous all the time. Body language is absolutely important because patients would know if one is not con...
 (Total 142 words)
This is a good tips in making good impressions from your patients. It has been found that first impression is made within the first seconds after you meet someone new. When you meet someone for the first time, they are taking a rapid inventory of your gait, your smile, your handshake, and how you present yourself. As you are making your approach, they are deciding if they can trust you, if you are genuinely nice, if they want to know and work with you--so many questions are answered in those fi...
 (Total 144 words)
As the saying goes, "first impressions last." Well we get to only live once and we only have a chance to make a good impression to others. For the doctors who are starting a career and looking to build their image in the public, always consider to be genuine to your patients. You are not just building your reputation to be pleasing to their eyes, rather be who you are so that your patients will be able to see the real you because some would only sugarcoat just f...
 (Total 177 words)