General
Pharmacist-led clinics in Singapore

Pharmacist-led clinics in Singapore

Shared by:

Pharmacists are an integral component of the holistic healthcare that a patient receives in Singapore, and there are a number of pharmacist-led clinics locally too. This articles discusses the various pros and cons of these.

today.mims.com

1 Nov 2016 - General

In addition to those, pharmacist can do anti-coagulation clinics - to titrate warfarin for cardiac or vascular patients, they also do smoking cessation clinics. In fact I got my smoking cessation counsellor training from learning from pharmacists who conducted the course. Hence we should feel happy that pharmacists are actually stepping up and alleviating some of the responsibilities in the clinical area. In addition, APN - advanced practitioner nurses are also runnng outpatient clinics similar...
 (Total 108 words)
I know that there are clinics led by nurses but not with pharmacist. What a relief and additional support system to the healthcare world. By increasing health clinics, this will ease the burden of doctors having long list waiting patients. Though it is optimal to seek the advice of the physician primarily, having these clinics led by pharmacist would also be able to cater cases which can be handled under their supervision. As being said, there are pros and cons, against and pro with these type o...
 (Total 116 words)
Alan Rosmadi as you told, pharmacist responsibility is going to utilized not only limited to drug dispensing but also to clinical events. That leading to reduced work pressure on physician and physician can effectively utilized his time with other patients. It may be more in costing way but if the fee for checkup and pharmacist covers the same, then no problem at all. Further required clarity. Let us wait for mo...
 (Total 80 words)
It seems like a great idea of having pharmacy-led clinic in some of the niche of medical world. It can hugely lead to improve patient outcome, and in the same time to reduce the doctor’s workload. In pharmacy-led clinic, patients will have more time to discuss about the list of medications that they are taking, with regards to the potential side effects, and potential interaction with other medications or food. Pharmacist can have time to provide proper education to patients, and emphasized with...
 (Total 108 words)
Wow! I am quite happy to know that pharmacists are starting to get recognized for their knowledge and skills here in Asian countries. In Western countries, there are already a lot of pharmacist-led ambulatory clinics. Here in Asia however, it’s taking some time for the pharmacy profession to catch up and be utilized to its full potential. Hopefully this could be the start of further progress for the pharmacy profession and that neighboring Asian countries would follow Singapore’s lead. Having ph...
 (Total 205 words)
I feel that having a pharmacist around can save a lot of time for other healthcare personnel. They time spent explaining about medication can take some time especially for elderly. As they require more attention and explanation. In hospitals there will usually be a pharmacy clinic where patients are there only to get their medication. But it does not stop there, while they are there, pharmacist take their duty seriously by explaining side effects and put their medication knowledge into place. Th...
 (Total 133 words)
Md Shamim Reza In some regions of India is like that only, pharmacist/compounder will do all things except surgeries. of course they are having experienced but lacking of qualification. They are not limited to first aide activity they are in practise of prescribing medicines for diseases. Stringent medical regulations needs to develop in India too. However I hope the burden on other HCPs will be reduced by these ...
 (Total 104 words)
Mark Edmon Tan It facilitates doctors to take care about more patients in addition I want to add. And in well managed situations it reduces the pressure on doctors also. There is no need for cut-off for pharmacists led clinics in my view, it required some set of standards to visit like critical and pharmacist should aware of all the associated rules. Systems and efficient practise makes this benefited by all aspe...
 (Total 72 words)
As long as it is drug-related problems, then there should not be an issue. I think that pharmacists will be able to give an extensive explanation of drug use and potential side effects. I think it is a sound move since it encourages patient compliance with prescribed medications. It would also give more time for doctors to see new patients for consult. However, there should be a cut-off when patients can visit this pharmacist-led clinics. They should see a physician every 2 -3 months to make sur...
 (Total 113 words)
It may be a good initiative if run successfully. The clinics should be run by skilled and qualified pharmacists only. And they should be conscious about their duty. They are helping hand for doctor, not a replacement. So, if required patients must be referred to doctors without any hesitation. In our country I see many pharmacist practice like doctors. They try to treat the patient like a quack. This is a very practice indeed. In many cases theirs steps complicate the conditions. However, clin...
 (Total 97 words)