General
Healthcare professionals: Start walking more to get healthier

Healthcare professionals: Start walking more to get healthier

Shared by:

Long hours and shift work makes it difficult for healthcare professionals to set aside time for exercise. Incorporating walking as a daily exercise could bring a good deal of benefit, in this case.

today.mims.com

2 Nov 2016 - General

Walking is one of the best way to stay healthy and keep fit. My grandfather is turning 90 in a couple of days time and the reason why he is so healthy is because he has a very good habit of walking every day. In the past when he was younger, he used to walk 15-20km everyday and as his age progressively advances, he is still making a point to wake up everyday to walk at least 2km. He also has a habit of waking up early and sleeping early. Health promotion board in my country advises that we shoul...
 (Total 169 words)
I think that walking is one of the best ways to increase one's mobility especially if you are predisposed to living a sedentary lifestyle. However, in the advent of more advanced exercises, I think that walking should be supplemented with moderate-vigorous exercises. Lack of time is no longer an excuse because there are high intensity interval training workouts that only last for 10-20 minutes. These are circuits composed of variations of workout intensities. They are not easy to perform bec...
 (Total 106 words)
Personally, I choose to walk because I think that with our busy schedules, we have to make the most of any opportunity to exercise. I mean, it doesn't have to be a big production. Like on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I am in a mall and I would always walk the stairs, unless I'm really tired. It's not much really. From the floor of the parking lot, I need to walk about two floors up, and so I do it every morning and then I do the same when I go out for lunch. If the Philippines were not ...
 (Total 146 words)
Walking as a exercise for at least 30 minutes per day is advised by the doctors for whom who are at a risk of cardio vascular accidents. As a doctor I know that the doctors are too busy to find some time to think about their own health. But it is appreciated that if we can manage to do some exercise at least 3 or 4 days per week if there is no any co-morbidity. I wonder whether the doctors can find the time to have a walk because each and every doctor tries to be with their loved ones in the lit...
 (Total 111 words)
Well how many calories do we burn for those working in the hospital? I think that's way too much from the daily requirement of walking as an exercise. As nurses, we get to walk maybe kilometers already in a 12 hour duty shift. Walking along the long hallways and going back and forth. Hehe. Brisk walking is even better than running. Just be sure you are able to warm up prior to exercising, and also after eating. As being suggested in the article, we can do stair climbing after lunch as long a...
 (Total 106 words)
Physical inactivity is part of the unhealthy sedentary lifestyle. Nowadays, most people will drive to work or take a public transport to go to work. If the distance to travel to work is feasible by walking, why not change the mode of transport to walk to work!! Daily walking to work and back from work can vastly increase our physical activity. Walking around 10000 steps a day can burn around 500 calories a day!!! We can even reduce some of our weight by increasing in our daily walking steps. The...
 (Total 150 words)
Good topic. We are really in a tight schedule and can't manage time for walking regularly. Unless you are working on emergency department, there is not enough chance to walk.Mostly we lead a sedentary lifestyle. The fact is, we advise our patients to change their lifestyle for a healthier life, we can't change our own. However, we need to find a way for this. During indoor or ward duty, we can try to walk more in the wards. Inspite of calling the patients or attendants to desk, we can go...
 (Total 124 words)
Good topic. We are really in a tight schedule and can't manage time for walking regularly. Unless you are working on emergency department, there is not enough chance to walk.Mostly we lead a sedentary lifestyle. The fact is, we advise our patients to change their lifestyle for a healthier life, we can't change our own. However, we need to find a way for this. During indoor or ward duty, we can try to walk more in the wards. Inspite of calling the patients or attendants to desk, we can go...
 (Total 124 words)
 (Total 124 words)
 (Total 124 words)
 (Total 124 words)
 (Total 124 words)