General
New chloride detection tool is more affordable and accurate

New chloride detection tool is more affordable and accurate

Shared by:

A new tool from biomaterials scientists at Penn State University can be used to detect conditions like cystic fibrosis, metabolic alkalosis, Addison’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

today.mims.com

2 Nov 2016 - General

I did not know detection of chloride was a challenge in the first place. All I know is that if we feel that the serum chloride level is of importance, in situations like a child presenting with repeated vomiting, we just order a serum chloride test and the report comes in a hour or two. I also was unaware that the chloride levels can be helpful in diagnosing disease like cystic fibrosis (CF), Addison’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Good to hear that there is now a more advanc...
 (Total 101 words)
I was wondering what a chloride detection tool would be valuable for, and was surprised to read that it can help diagnose conditions from cystic fibrosis to lateral sclerosis. If such an equipment would be less expensive, then it can be made more affordable to patients especially in areas where there is limited access to accurate diagnostic tests. Also, such a tool with its sensors could also be used to further develop other diagnostic equipment using similar principles. Such equipment would als...
 (Total 104 words)