General
Pharmacy tech swapped patients’ opioid painkillers with normal saline in the U.S.

Pharmacy tech swapped patients’ opioid painkillers with normal saline in the U.S.

Shared by:

A pharmacy tech in Iowa has reportedly admitted to replacing fentanyl with saline solution using a syringe, for reasons that have not been ascertained.

today.mims.com

3 Nov 2016 - General

It is good that the DEA is getting its hand on this matter. Opioid is known for being addictive and this is the reason why the 4 A's should be monitored with opioid use namely aberrant behavior, analgesia, activities of daily living improvement, and adverse effects. I wonder what the hospital personnel's purpose was in replacing opioids with saline. As Madhubabu kaaja has mentioned, one angle could be to s...
 (Total 138 words)
It is very unfortunate that this has become a rampant situation worldwide Madhubabu kaaja. I fully agree that the DEA should further look into this matter and those similar to it. I like the idea of being assisted by another health care professional Alan Rosmadi. It's like opening an "and" bank account were you need t...
 (Total 114 words)
The damage has been done and irreversible. What was the side of the pharmacy tech for doing such act? Where could he used the drug and why did he replaced it with saline water. This puts our credibility as a healthcare practicioner questionable and most importanty the hospital involved too! I wonder why that pharmacy tech wasn't able to have someone accompany him in the regulated cabinets. In UAE, if found that there are any discrepancy in the regulated drugs or even the breakages are missin...
 (Total 136 words)
So revolting. How can a health care personnel tarnish the reputation and trust that the public had in us for decades? It is so unacceptable. We have built the trust that all public should have in us and now because of one numbskull we all have to face the music. I strongly suggest that anyone that will be handling medication be assisted with one more qualified personnel so that things like this could be avoided and medication errors can slowly deteriorate. I wonder if they did a psychological te...
 (Total 106 words)
This is becoming common in hospital healthcare systems drugs being selling to black market. It may done due to self injection or he may sell at outside. Previously noted nurses and pharma techs doing the same frauds. Some nurses using hydrocodone and opoids for self use. It is a global problem of prescription drugs misuse which may not found but it is a silent killer you to don't know in your hospital might happening in darkness. Drug diversion cases are increasing past few years by healthca...
 (Total 94 words)
This is quite appalling news. From a situation like this we should understand where the root of so much paranoia stems from in many patients. 713 patients were treated with the watered down fentanyl that may or may not be contaminated. These federal, criminal charges are definitely needed for this gross act of recklessness. How difficult it would be on the part of the patient to find out such a thing happened. Even though it was the act of one employee the name of the hospital is unfortunately a...
 (Total 90 words)