General
Hiccups Cure: Stop Hiccups With 9 Easy Tricks | Reader's Digest

Hiccups Cure: Stop Hiccups With 9 Easy Tricks | Reader's Digest

Shared by:

Stop your hiccups today with these 9 popular hiccups cures.

www.rd.com

3 Nov 2016 - General

The tricks shared in the comments here are very valuable. For me, relaxing my mind and holding my breath for 20 seconds usually do the job. I would like to draw the attention to an important point here. There are some diseases that have hiccup as part of their symptoms. These illnesses include: pleurisy of the diaphragm, pneumonia, uremia, alcoholism, disorders of the stomach or esophagus, and bowel diseases. Hiccups may also be associated with pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritation, liver ...
 (Total 105 words)
My immediate answer for hiccups is to hold my breath. I cannot remember who taught me that or when, but it works for me (and for the people I share it to) all the time. I even do it to my dogs. When I see that they're hiccuping, I cover their mouths, to force them to hold their breath for awhile and it works. Sometimes you have to do it more than once because you have to time the "holding of your breath", for exactly when he hiccups are about to come out, and then voila, GONE! But ...
 (Total 118 words)
It is good to know these simple steps will give a relief for hiccups. You will feel the difficulty once you get it. It is really unstoppable. I had a bad experience while I was doing an presentation. Suddenly I got a hiccup which I failed to stop. I could not proceed the presentation even. I got an excuse and went out for few minutes letting my colleague to continue the presentation. Drinking some water will make you relieved for a while. Taking an anti emetic drug is better if you have it at th...
 (Total 105 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for sharing your input with the topic. My answer would be yes. I got teased too for allegedly stealing eggs that caused hiccups. I actually believed that it was the reason for having hiccups when I was a kid haha. I think the older generation was conditioned to believe that medical conditions were a form of punishment for wrongdoing. It could be one of the reasons why they attribute ...
 (Total 120 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Thank you for sharing your experience with this bothersome phenomenon. It can be really embarrassing especially in the middle of a consult. I can imagine your disposition when this occurred during rounds. I would like to know if you had symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux during the height of hiccups attach such as frequent throat clearing. Hiccups has been closely related to acid reflux. ...
 (Total 110 words)
Tahira Nawaz Thank you for sharing your precious technique in hiccups cure. That is a great idea to involve the mind to relieve hiccups. I have never used this technique before and will surely try this. Everything written in the article focuses on increasing the effort to swallow in order to relieve vagus nerve irritation. Maybe using the mind to distract the nerve from continued irritation will work too. ...
 (Total 115 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Of course, the peanut butter or chocolate technique is a sweet remedy for hiccups. They say that the consistency of the spreads as they pass through the esophagus alters the vagus nerve's focus on the diaphragm. Hence, spasm is relieved. Getting something sweet or sour is something I have not tried too. Giving the person a good scare was a traditional way to cure hiccups in the Phi...
 (Total 108 words)
During my childhood days, I remember the times that everytime i have this hiccups my grandfather always teased me by saying, "nagnakaw ka naman ng itlog ky lola mo no?" (That i have stolen some eggs from my grandmother's place) and because i am still young i always defend myself that i didn't. Have you experience that too? Or am i the only one being teased by my grandparents? Lol. But kidding aside. I have actually done to hold my breath for few seconds and it actually work. A...
 (Total 103 words)
There was a period, like 6 months that I used to get hiccups very frequently. Like several times a day that would not go away for a couple of minutes whatever I did. That was back when I was a medical student and it was pretty embarassing when it happened in front of patients or in the middle of a teaching ward round. I remember being very worried and even talked to a few senior doctors but no one could find a cause or cure. It slowly disappeared and happens only once in a week or two now but I ...
 (Total 109 words)
Hi Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan, I have been doing what you mentioned as well. And yes, it seems to work. I may not know the rationale behind it but it works. That's all that matters. :)

Reading through the article, all of the hiccup remedies are quite easy to do, taste pleasant and readily available from our kitchen cupboards.

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the paper trick...
 (Total 130 words)
Well, it is an interesting article about hiccups and almost all of us have experienced in our lives. There is no medical treatment for it therefore mostly people try their own-made remedies to get rid of this uncomfortable condition. I always try to drink a glass of water at once or focus my mind toward a sweet or hurting memory and luckily it works most of the time. The tips stated in this article also seem effective like eating something sweet or sour, a big teaspoon of butter, sip of hot sauc...
 (Total 118 words)
Interesting article! Hiccups can be amusing at one point, but get annoying when they don’t go away immediately. They can also be embarrassing especially when you’re in public and you suddenly have a bad, loud case of hiccups! Readig the article, well, I haven’t tried something sweet or something sour, and dill is quite rare here in the Philippines. What I’ve tried to do was drink a full glass of water without taking a breath, and trying to hold my breath in for a little longer after drinking the...
 (Total 133 words)
Hiccups are usually self-limiting but annoying unless associated with serious conditions such as arryhthmias. Spasm of the diaphragm, which typically involves the left hemidiaphragm, has a lot of proposed mechanisms that involve the phrenic, vagus, and sympathetic chain from T1-12. Though it is usually benign, most of us want to be relieved immediately of the bothersome phenomenon. An established treatment regimen for hiccups is not yet available and healthcare professionals also rely on home re...
 (Total 115 words)