General
How to deliver bad news to patients: Tips to do it better

How to deliver bad news to patients: Tips to do it better

Shared by:

I was a first year resident, and this was the first time I’d ever had to tell a family member a loved one had died.

www.kevinmd.com

4 Nov 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro "It is important to put emphasis that everything medically possible has been done in order to reassure the family." This is very true especially for relatives who are in the healthcare profession. In the Philippines, we are not used to being blunt during conversations. Moreover, consults with patients often involve the immediate and extended family. Usually, the best way is to dampen th...
 (Total 122 words)
These are good tips to break bad news sensibly. I think its also important to take into account cultural differences especially for international patients. Based on my experience, its always useful to give a brief introductory statement before delivering bad news. This is to give them an idea of what is about to come. Also its good to include words of support, comfort on encouragement at the start of the conversation to give reassurance from the start. Finally, its important to explain the detai...
 (Total 137 words)