General
Should patients listen to celebrities or their doctor?

Should patients listen to celebrities or their doctor?

Shared by:

Celebrities set the latest trends in everything, from fashion to movies. While many follow an actor’s advice on image, should patients follow their advice on health, when they have no medical training to back it up?

today.mims.com

5 Nov 2016 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz yhank you for sharing this article to be discussed, our health is a priority and precious so people should keep it well and never let anything affect it as they can.
Doctors of any field had dedicated their life studying to help people and to cooperate with them to keep them healthy.
Understanding these points will make people know who to follow when an issue concerning their health is h...
 (Total 113 words)
Ahh. I think the best way to solve this problem will be doctors becoming celebrities and endorsing the products. I agree with Jemelyn Mae Sodusta that it is the duty of the consumers to be wise enough and research enough before choosing a health product. However, this cannot be advocated for children. Also, many teen and adolescents also choose many products by getting influenced by the media. Media and advertise...
 (Total 110 words)
LIFE PEGS---you hear that a lot about people making celebrity idols, the basis of perfection and what's right about life. I don't think celebrities endorsing treatments, medicines, etc is completely bad. The reality is that a lot of people look up to celebrities and we constantly want our thoughts and decisions affirmed, and the backing of a known idol usually helps to further convince you. Unfortunately, Kim Kardashian type of endorsements usually get in the way, and in the hands of tho...
 (Total 166 words)
Unfortunately a lot of people put more value on popularity than on credibility. Media professionals - including celebrities have a powerful voice in any issues - - including medical issues apparently. Its not that celebrities shouldn't be allowed to express admiration over a certain medication. But knowing that they are popular and influential, they should take on the responsibility to consider how people will react on what they say in social media or television. I have no problems with cele...
 (Total 121 words)
In terms of health related concerns, i would like to agree that patients should listen to their doctors. Celebrities are not in medical field to let them sway us in terms with our health problems. They are just advertising even with out knowing the adverse effects of the drug in the body. They are paid through their endorsements , so it is their task to advertise it. However, it is in our hands as a consumer to decide whether we will believe in celebreties over our doctors. On the other hand, wh...
 (Total 139 words)
Yes of course "celebrities do not always know better" as they are not medical professionals. It is very true about the "halo effect” and how people tend to trust this beautiful embodiment of wisdom in the name of a celebrity. If it is just their personal opinion I think they should double think speaking up about what they do not know much about as it is a way of abusing their celebrity status. I agree though to use celebrities as spokes persons about awareness programs and the lik...
 (Total 145 words)
When we switch the television on, we will see a lot of advertisements on the products which lead to unhealthy life habits. Most of them are driven by the celebrities who are being followed by the public. So the general public is very keen to follow what the celebrities show in these advertisements. A famous Sri Lankan cricketer advertises a noodles advertisement. We all know that the essence is carcinogenic. But even though it is, the general public tend to follow what the celebrities do. But fo...
 (Total 104 words)
I guess the most positive and effective influence that celebrities may give to the public health is when they participate in the international known health plans. The second case is when they share their health status and their struggle with their own health problems such as cancer or any other major disorder. In these cases, they encourage the public to search more about these conditions and ignite debates about it. However, no one should ever listen to celebrities when it comes to their own he...
 (Total 110 words)