General
Earning respect from others as a young healthcare professional

Earning respect from others as a young healthcare professional

Shared by:

Young doctors might be subjected to certain prejudices from more senior colleagues as well as patients, but should not let such stereotypes get them down.

today.mims.com

6 Nov 2016 - General

As a young physician, expose yourself to more opportunities using traditional and innovative learning. For the senior physicians, impart to the juvenile ones what you have acquired during your formative years and adapt to the changing setting of medical education. There will always be prejudice, even outside the medical field. Let them estimate you physically (if you look really young). Equip yourself with appropriate, up-to-date knowledge and skills. More so, be professional and ethical in all ...
 (Total 77 words)
Madhubabu kaaja thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, points mentioned in the article are very beneficial and anyone in any field can follow them to gain the of others.
The most important point I think is that you should learn from your mistakes and never run away from them, we are here in this life to make mistakes and learn from them and that how can we get our experience.
Also I want to ad...
 (Total 111 words)
Very similar to our discussion back in June http://community.mims.com/general/10647/you-look-too-young-to-be-a-doctor. People tend to have a misconception that all doctor's are in their 40s and that those in their 20s are just students when reality they are licensed. Being a young doctor myself I understand this predicament but what I feel to be very important is to remain humble and honest. We have a stock of medical knowledge but we don't know everything. There are things we learn in ...
 (Total 94 words)
When a healthcare professional or even anyone who is just climbing the initial steps of his career, it is important for him or her to take care of many things. Those mentioned in this post are quite true and every fresher HCP should pay attention to it. I remember when I had started practicing, I used to take care of every small thing. The work done and actions taken in the initial days of your career either make or break or career. Of course, it is natural to make mistakes when you're a fre...
 (Total 106 words)
Oh I remember being a young dentist. I do not feel as young anymore, I don't know when that feeling went away, but I remember being young and being very careful. I agree with all the points discussed here. While you can argue discrimination and prejudice, you have to be a professional about all these and understand your position. It takes years to gain expertise and no matter how brilliant you may be, you have to recognize superiority and authority. You still have a lot to prove and this won...
 (Total 129 words)
Earning a respect from others is quite hard especially when other health care professional has this mindset that "this generation is less dedication and hardworking". However, if this is the view of others, as a young medical professional you should prove yourself that you are way better than what they think of you. Seeking improvement with proper guidance is the best method to upgrade yourself. Complaining should be crossed out in your list for this only creates a bad impression of yo...
 (Total 103 words)
To a certain extent we have to understand why senior medical professionals feel that younger doctors are less hardworking. During their time, technology is not yet advanced, and it was more difficult for them to study medicine, diagnose and treat patients. I remember my mentor telling me stories of how the used to diagnose and locate extramedullary tumors of the spine. They had to access the subarachnoid space and inject a dye then take an xray! Nowadays, all we have to do is to send the patient...
 (Total 154 words)
The public concern is that the doctors are living gods. So they respect the doctors much because they are the ones who give their second lives. I remember the few first days in my carrier as a doctor, most of our senior doctors scolded and insulted us in front of the patients. So that we could not keep our heads up in front of them and the patients also got to disrespect us and they got to not to take our words even about their management plans. So I think it is bit difficult to gain respect fro...
 (Total 110 words)