General
The challenges of treating transgender patients

The challenges of treating transgender patients

Shared by:

Transgender is basically an umbrella term that is used for individuals with gender identification different from the gender given to them during their birth. They face several challenges as far as health care is concerned due to their specific unique needs.

today.mims.com

7 Nov 2016 - General

Well. It is a real challenge. There are lots of patients they present with the problems of the urinary tract, and the genitals. After being an transgender the normal structure of the genital area is disturbed and most of the time the transgender people get their external genital organs changed by plastic surgeries. Since almost all the time they want only the cosmetic changes, they do not make changes for the internal genital organs. So when you do a per rectal examination or a per vaginal exami...
 (Total 109 words)
Madhubabu kaaja I think there should be a separate protocol for people who are on hormonal treatments for gender dysphoria and for those who underwent gender reassignment surgery. Although this remains to be established because we have to ascertain if its cost effective and clinically reasonable to establish a time-sensitive protocol in doing screening procedures. These protocols have to backed up by evidence. Som...
 (Total 126 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Are you asking about the indications on gender reassignment surgery? At present, I know that the only indication for this controversial treatment is gender dysphoria. In Manila, before one can be eligible for gender reassignment surgery, at least two psychiatrist should certify that the patient fulfills the criteria for this condition. This is a real mental health issue that has to be ascertained ...
 (Total 138 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan God created Male and Female genders. Due to birth deformitiesand social causes to change are may be reasons for 3rd gender or mixed genders. There is seperate protocol/proccess/science whatever the terminology we use. This is not an discrimination it is for better treatment. I want to take opinion of ...
 (Total 69 words)
Heena Pohani as you Maria Cristina Inserto and Alan Rosmadi told a specific protocol needs to be developed and optimised for transgenders as it a delicate issue to deal. progress in this respect. We, MIMS professionals ready to take up any health i...
 (Total 54 words)
Madhubabu kaaja thank you for sharing this article to be discussed, transgender cases should be reached to medicine student so they don't surprise when facing their cases in the work fields, transgender patients are human beings and they are sure passing through hard time due to their cases, so a special care should be devoted to them and healthcare professionals should be aware of that.
I agree with ...
 (Total 123 words)
The battle of each transgender has been ongoing for years. I have to agree with most of the people here recommending to have a sort of protocol specifically to these group of people. This is some kind of a discrimination and disrespect. They are just like no other than ordinary people with identity issues. I think the approach of treating them and having access to medical facilities and treatments does not vary on whatever your identity is. Whatever your identity is, the organ function and body ...
 (Total 142 words)
I agree with the opinions of Marinelle Castro and Alan Rosmadi that specific protocols should be built up for transgender population. However, I assume that not much specialized dental care will be needed for transgender patients. Nevertheless, the picture of the oral cavity may change due to the change in the hormones. I believe ...
 (Total 134 words)
I feel that every hospital should come up with a gender specific protocol and provide a guideline to answers to all the points stated ion the article. The best solution is not to discriminate them, by not providing the proper care that they need, medically. Even though they are not a common few in your society, they are still humans, and should not be neglected. I feel that the points stated in the article are valid only to a certain extent as it is actually quite common to see nowadays. Rules a...
 (Total 142 words)
Aside from the lack of protocols and reference values for transgenders, there is also confusion on what standard of care means for them. Transgenders should be recognized and treated with respect, just like any other human being. I think that a therapeutic alliance can be formed by being honest about the current medical situation - that a lot of insurance will not cover for their care, and screening tests are controversial. Nevertheless, this is where the value of expert opinion comes in - the d...
 (Total 124 words)