General

What is the strangest thing you have heard a patient say?

Created by:

7 Nov 2016 - General

Many patients come into the clinic or hospital with some bizarre misconceptions about their health. What is the strangest thing you’ve heard your patients say?

Hazwan Yuan I encounter a lot of patients in such situation. They'd deny any illnesses but when asked if they have any maintenance medication, they'd outright tell you their medications. Lol

Maria Cristina Inserto had the similar experience. However, this is a chemo patient and she's been wary of engaging in su...
 (Total 109 words)
HI all,
It was the funniest moment during my Final Year's Long case History taking to the Patient.
As a part, in sexual history i asked the patient " Do you go out in nights ( For sleeping ) ? " (Commonly asked in India like this indirectly).
Spontaneously, without even understanding my question, he said innocently " yes sir, I always do! In fact I roam all the nights and will be back home in late nights only.
(After explaining in other words he was laughin...
 (Total 91 words)
A DEAD BEE

After done dispensing medication for patient today
Patient : may I ask you something miss ?
Me : oh sure l how can I help you ?
Patient : this morning I got stung by a bee and now what should I do ?? Should I see a doctor ?
Me : yes , if you find it painful I suggest you to go and see a doctor now
Patient : do you want to see the bee ?
Me : *confused * it’s alright . You better go see a doctor ?
Patient : but I had breast cancer 10 years ago...
 (Total 159 words)
I am totally agree with you Kah Ee Law . You have posted the best point of view and a healthcare professional must have attitude like this but i have given just an option if patient is really irritating. It is also possible that we can refer to another same pharmacy and we can contact to our nearby pharmacy for the product. It is the best way to convince the patient about switching of medications as the health be...
 (Total 113 words)
Awesome topic! The comments below are really entertaining to read. We really meet a few ones with colorful complaints and it stands out among our hectic schedules. I have this funny story when I was in my surgery rotation during post-graduate internship. My resident, who was always funny and witty as hell, were doing rounds for post-operative patients. We encountered a patient who has not yet taken a bath 3 days after surgery. The conversation was like this:
Doctor: Bakit hindi ka pa nalilig...
 (Total 170 words)
Weirdest? I'll have to excuse myself first but this is a really funny one. After doing just a simple extraction on a patient, I gave my usual postoperative instructions, which usually ends with "limit physical activity" and the patient paused, looking at me straight in the eye, I sensed he wanted to ask something but he was hesitant about it. Then he goes, "As in no physical activity?" --- and I kind of got the vibe that he meant sexual activity and not gym or sports, so ...
 (Total 125 words)
Tahira Nawaz =) We could refer the patient to her former hospital's pharmacy, if she really insisted. But this is not the best outcome as it will somehow affect the hospital pharmacy's stock levels when such referrals accumulate. Patient too will find it inconvenient to be consulted at the health clinic and then to get medication at another pharmacy (instead of the one in health clinic). Stable patients u...
 (Total 153 words)
My NGO , Hospitals Beyond Boundaries, was doing free health screening for the homeless at Jalan Medan Tuanku, KL on Thursday. Worked with another group called "Need to feed the need" who helped distribute food for the unfortunates. It was raining at the same time. We were almost done when at 10 pm, a 60 year-old-lady dropped by to collect recyclable items.
"Why are you late? The food have all been distributed." I said.
"Sorry," she replied "I had a sei...
 (Total 115 words)
I would like to share a recent event that took place in the clinic.
Patient : " DOCTOR, PLEASE SAVE ME! I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY MORE DAYS I HAVE!
I asked her to relax and tell me what the matter was?
She said: "SEE, I HAVE LUMP IN MY MOUTH AND ALSO I AM HAVING HEADACHE, FEELING FEVERISH."
I asked her since how many days she is having the symptoms?
Patient: I DON'T HAVE ANY BAD HABIT, I DON'T SMOKE. I DON'T KNOW WHY GOD IS PUNISHING ME? I HAVE ...
 (Total 197 words)
My clinic is affordable for all classes.The upper class women want to Save Money & get treated Amidst workers of colony. If caught in my clinic by a Fellow Status Conscious woman,typical Reaction of Shock written on faces of both, One will say as an excuse to another- 1 car with husband,2nd car with son & she cannot go to a fancy hospital of area all Alone minus these protective men with cars. Other woman is one up- her answer is amazing & I find difficulty to control my laughter. Sh...
 (Total 132 words)