General
5% of medical students practice invasive clinical procedures on themselves in New Zealand

5% of medical students practice invasive clinical procedures on themselves in New Zealand

Shared by:

A survey from Otago University medical school revealed that some students practice procedures from taking blood to suturing without clinical supervision on each other, using pilfered equipment.

today.mims.com

8 Nov 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro: back in undergrad, nursing, we had to perform return demos for blood extraction and injections (IM, ID, SQ). Of course we had to practice before hand or we would get a failing score. I remember the one who was going to inject me (we used PNSS) picked IM out of the hat. Suddenly the lights went out when he was demonstrating the injection. You would think he would pause but he quickly injected me ...
 (Total 141 words)
Jennifer Winter I would have to admit that before I took my internship as a medical technologist, I practiced phlebotomy on myself. Perhaps the most extreme that I ever did was do an ABG on myself. I am almost certain that a lot of classmates did this on themselves too. In medical school, I remember that there is a workshop wherein you are tasked to insert an IV line on a peer. Same thing happened during interns...
 (Total 128 words)
I just stumbled over this article and realized something about medicine here in the Philippines. Though I never practiced suturing on myself or my peers (as I only practiced back in med school on chicken or pork) I could say that blood drawing and IVF insertion practice on peers is something that I would say 90% or even 100% of medical students do here in the Philippines. Before entering clerkship we were taught by interns how to insert IV lines and when I was an intern, when it was my turn to t...
 (Total 115 words)